Green card-themed project?

I have a coworker who just got his green card last week and is super excited. I was trying to think of a green card-related thing I could make him and am coming up blank.

Any suggestions??

2. # ADS

Depending on how long he has been here you could make him chart or guide that tells him when holidays are and what they mean (i've been in the states for 5 years and could probably still use that).
    You could also make him a blanket or scarf with a flag theme, or a set of notcards with a "I got my green card' message he can use to send to friends and family.
    I'm not sure what your skills are...
    Also depending on his religious practices, you could make him an ornament that comemorates this, or a decoration for his office. Another option would be a mini-shrine about getting his green card.
    If you wanted you could also do something combining the flag/image of his home country and an american flag/image. I know that when I get my green card (still some months away) I will be happy, but I will still feel affection / loaylty for Canada.
    Good luck, I'll keep thinking. It's really nice of you, this is a milestone that takes a lot to get to, but is generally ignored by people who have never dealt with the immigration system.

Quote Originally Posted by breewell
    If you wanted you could also do something combining the flag/image of his home country and an american flag/image.
    I love this idea. I was going to suggest something similar -- not necessarily with flags, but something that combines images from his home country and images from the US. I know that for a lot of friends who have gone through this process, it can be very bittersweet because of all the feelings people have tied up in the countries they were born in.

Also, kind of off-topic, but I know some people who, when the wife got US citizenship, they threw a party in which they used the US citizenship examination as the invitation. Pretty interesting.

breewell, those are some great ideas. I really like the 2 flags idea.

I was also thinking that along with the gift, I would make a congrats card, in green of course.

I don't know if this matters, but my husband said his green card wasn't green at all. It was pink. I've always thought that was interesting.

You can make a literally green greeting card and mail it to him, something like "Here's a green card that's actually green..." but funnier, it's too early for humor here.

Also green cards call you a "resident alien" so something with an alien theme could be cute. It was so fun to say "my boyfriend is an alien" before he got his US citizenship.

Remove Ads

Ads