Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what to do with old socks?

so i have a strong sentimental attachment to many of my socks. in some cases, my mom and my sister have matching pairs and it's a fun silly thing we do. what can i do when they get huge holes in them? is there any kind of craft i could use the little remaining fabric for? is the fact that they're elastic too much to overcome when trying to cut and sew pieces for quilts, etc?

2. # ADS

Ooo! Ooo! go look at this guy's site:

stupidcreatures.com

It is like giving your socks another incarnation!

Hey, they *are* pretty stupid in a cute way!

How about making drink cozies with the socks? A friend uses a plain old army sock for a water bottle insulator. I'd bet a cute argyle or a holiday themed sock would be great. She uses the foot too, but a lot of cozies are just a sleeve with no bottom. You could cut the bottom off if that's where the holes are.

And then, with bottom cut off, how about stitching the ends of a bunch of socks together so you have one very long tube? Maybe like a scarf? Or stuff it with wood chips or batting for a draft dodger

you could learn french darning and fix them :)

jt

You actually could quilt them,maybe using them in an applique would be more practiacal?Or sew the good parts of the tubes togatehr and make sock animals.

You could probably quilt them and avoid the elastic thing by backing them interfacing. (I recently re-discovered how amazing fusable interfacing is.)

I like the drink cozy idea....I have some socks with holes too....

great ideas - the interfacing might be perfect. there's also an iron on fleece stuff i could use that would make it really sturdy. and i love the idea of making a draft protector. god knows the houses in san francisco have no insulation on their own.

and would you believe i actually did try to fix them? but they were so uncomfortable i had to give it up.

I can believe you tried to fix them, I have one pair of monkey socks that i love, so my mom reweaved the toe out of thread...moms are great :)

jt

hee hee - i don't know what it is about socks. maybe because i wear my favorite pairs at least two or three times a month, depending on how often i do laundry. i just get really attached to 'em!

Maybe you could sew a bunch of them together and stuff them to make a draft dodger for a window or at the bottom of a door?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads