Dye Your Own Yarn?

Anyone out there dye your own yarn? Know anyone who does? I have the opportunity to purchase a large lot of high quality wool yarn that felts wonderfully for a white yarn, but the real draw to the yarn is that it can be dyed and used as well. I'm trying to get a feel for how many dye-it-yourselfers are out there before I dedicate the space and money on this stuff for my shop. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS

i dye my own yarn in small lots, but dyeing is an art and craft that takes a long time to really learn and appreciate. i'm very much a novice, and i've been playing with dyes for years.

there are a *lot* of people selling hand-dyed, commercially spun yarn. it can fetch quite a price, but you'd be competing with some of the big names in yarn, like Lorna's Laces, Alchemy, etc.

if you're into it, and really want to do it, i would say go for it, but i wouldn't count on making money.

If you want to just try it to see whether you like it or not, you can always try Kool-Aid dyeing. It's cheap (well, not if you plan to dye a lot of yarn...but for experimenting you don't need much), nontoxic and easy to dye with. There was a tutorial in an old issue of Knitty but there are several other tutorials available as well (on google...I'm too lazy to look them up right now :-)

Thanks for your input, but I think I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm not looking to dye my own yarn. I alreasy sell handspun and hand-dyed yarns from others (mostly independent spinners and guilds, etc). I was wondering about selling some undyed yarn so others could dye it themselves (I had someone suggest to me that I should sell some natural so others could dye, and it didn't really seem like something people would want to do--dye their own yarn--because it takes so much work!) I just don't know how many people are out there looking for yarn to dye!

Oh, OK - well, judging from the knitting bug and the many people who post on other boards about dyeing yarn, I think it's sort of a trend. It seems a lot of people are dyeing yarn or thinking about trying it right now. So I'd say go for it.

oh, i totally didn't get that you wanted to sell undyed yarn! if you could sell it for less than your dyed yarns, it might be worth it. i don't specifically buy undyed yarn to dye, but then again, i'm a spinner, so i don't need to. but i'm sure someone out there does.

There's an article in the Winter issue of Family Circle's EASY KNITTING on this very thing (I just picked it up the other day).

(though from the sounds of it, there's also tutorials on the internet)

Remove Ads

Ads