Thread: finger weaving?

finger weaving?

Hey I remember finger weaving as a kid but i can't remember how to?? Does anyone know how or what I'm talking about?? Much appreciated

2. # ADS

Yes! i remember finger weaving! First you had to get some fabric stretchy loops that always came in flourescent colors. The loops were made out of panty hose material. Then you take your first loop and criss cross it around each finger except thumb. Then you take another loop and do the same thing. Then you take the first loop, and on each finger, you pull that loop over the second loop, sort of like knitting. Once that is accomplished, you then get another loop, criss cross it over your fingers again, and repeat the process. Man, I always used to do that. I had completely forgot about that, thanks for the memory!

I don't remember doing this with loops, but with yarn. You would make one loop and put it on your thumb, then weave the yarn around your fingers. Then weave it again back towards your thumb, then pull the first piece over the second, then weave the yarn around your fingers again, and repeat.

well there's the kid's style finger weaving or knitting done with yarn full instructions here, scroll down:
    http://www.camp-a-roo.com/gift.shtml

Very addictive and honestly you can quickly make nice skinny scarves. This can also be similarly done with the little loops that nellie_3000 was talking about.

And then there's the native american stlye of finger weaving, remember frendship bracelets? it's similar to those.
    here's some instructions for that:
    http://www.northwestjournal.ca/sash.html

hope that helps

thanks guys! sorry i didn't reply sooner!

I fingerweave friendship bracelets of a different sort. Mine come out round, more or less, using 5 loops. You start with 5 strands of embroidery thread (or whatever type of string/cord you want) about 31" in length for a bracelet. (if I remember correctly; it's been a long time, and I usually measure from my thumb and forefinger to the soft area just inside my shoulder) Then you double them all together and tie them at loose end.

You use a safety pin which you have poked through the knot to anchor the strands to your jeans or a towel or some other thick fabric that will take some yanking on, and then you loop 3 strands over the index, second, and third fingers of one hand (let's say the R) and 2 strands over the index and second fingers of the other hand (L).

Now you use the 3rd finger of your left hand and pass it under the upper half of the loops you are holding on your 3rd and 2nd fingers (in that order) on the R hand and then hook it *over* the top half of the loop you are holding on your right index finger, unhook that loop, and pull it through the other two loops on your R. hand. You should now have 2 loops on your right hand and 3 on your left. Pass the remaining two loops on your right hand each up a finger, so that instead of having loops on your 2nd and 3rd fingers, you have them on your 1st and 2nd fingers. Repeat the process, using the 3rd finger of your R. hand as a hook this time. Just keep doing that, passing the topmost string back and forth from each hand and moving the leftover bottom two strings up until you get to the end of the bracelet and the loops are too small to work with anymore.

Tie another knot at the loop end, and you're good to go. To tie the bracelet or anklet on, all you do is pass the loose end knot through the loops and then tie it off on the string around your ankle.

I realize this is a little hard to visualize. If anyone wants, I'll go thru the effort of pictures, but if no one cares, I'd rather not!

Jenie

help!!

i need more help :[

huh?

How can you should me pics? It would be fantabulous if I got the diagram! Thx ttyl

Oh i rememver how to finger weave! Here's the instructions:

1. Get 5 different color strings and (for bracelet) measure 2ft. 3in. Then fold it exactly in half and put the 5 halfs all next to each other.

2. Get 3 strings on your ring, middle, and index fingers on your left hand. Put 2 on your ring, and middle finger on your right hand. Make sure there are NO strings on the index finger of your right hand.

3. Take the index finger of your right hand and, on the left hand strings, go in order, over the first, under the second, over the third, under the forth. There should be 2 strings left. Go OVER the first one and pull it through to the other hand.

4. Now the setup should be opposite than in the beginning. (Remember to move your fingers: in the right hand, there should be 2 strings. Move your ring finger into the string that's on your middle finger. Put your middle finger in the string on your index finder. Take your index finger out.

That's it just reapeat. To end: Just tie a knot and cut off the top of the loops and tie on wrist (or ankle).

Remove Ads

Ads