Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Our friends did the cupcakes instead of a cake. Her cousin made them, each with a handmade sugar flower on them. It was wonderful, but a TON of work. I think if you go this route, simpler is better.

2. # ADS

wow! I think we would buy the cupcakes from a bakery - just simple, but yummy cupcakes. I can see how so much of this process can get out of hand!

I'm getting married in September and got a lot of good ideas at indiebride.com. And, surprising as it may be, the boards at theknot.com (if you ignore the annoying stuff) can be helpful. I checked out a lot of my vendors on the local board before I hired.

I had a simple cheep wedding that was fun. We did have the wedding in a curch but did not really do much decorating, My mother supplyed the flowers from here garden and that is really the only decoration we had there. We had the reception in a near by park, which had a playground to occupy my husbands young cousins of which there are many. I think my mother in law bought wine from the local grocery store, she got a case discount. We also got a keg of miccro brewed beer from one of the local brewerys. Food was supplyed by my aunties-in-law. for dessert we just had a huge varity of cakes and other desserts. We had a cute little cake that we used for cake cutting. Also we did not have any attendents, for whitnesses we just had my sister and his brother. Much like you we did not want to have to choose amoung our friends and if I had attendents it would have ended up being way too much. Oh yeah his uncle did a video which we have never watched and a friend of ours who is a photographer shot our pictures.

Astoria

hey there
    i'm getting married sometime too (we haven't set a date or anything full on like that) so i've been asking myself a lot of the same questions. i'm all for crafting and doing as much of it for myself as i can, but i keep reminding myself not to take on too much. i love organising dinner parties and parties, but i know that i also have a tendency to try and do far far too much, so that when people turn up i'm still lighting candles and rolling tart cases and wearing my tracky daks. not to mention utterly exhausted. not great for a dinner party, shithouse for a wedding. so in organising, well at this stage just thinking about really, my wedding, i'm gonna make a rule that me and my friends/mum/sister will not be given any big tasks to do the day of and before the wedding. getting ourselves ready and there will be enough i reckon. i do not want to be organising favours the day before!
    also re the bridesmaid thing, i have four close friends and one sister, and couldn't choose between them but don't want five bridesmaids. it's gonna be a small wedding and that would just be riduclous and expensive. so what i'm gonna do is have five kinda bridesmaids. we'll pick a colour that suits everyone and within that they can wear whatever shade and style suits them, from pant suit to goddess gown. and then matching corsages for the wrist and bags or something. so they'll kind have a unifed look but not be a scary company of identically dressed chicas. i reckon this is a good compromise.
    hope this helps! and congratulations!

Congrats! Most of what I would tell you has already been said, but I will tell you to make as much as you can-it really helps! I made my own floral arrangements for the reception and my favors (they were little material pumpkins with candy corn inside). Everything you decide on is about a theme. My theme was "Fall"-so it was easy for me to just get a bunch of decorations at the right time.
    Weddings can get real stressful, real fast though. Keep calm, and keep a crafty state of mind!

congratulations!! sorry i don't have any advice as such, but i do know that http://www.indiebride.com/ is supposed to be a pretty good source for crafty/cheap/indie ideas about weddings. good luck![/url]

I'm a wedding photographer, so I've seen a wide variety of weddings (not a LOT, but quite a few!)

First, http://losangeles.craigslist.org is your BEST friend! Well maybe not really, but you can find a ton of resources there - with people trying to start in the business and doing things on the side. Make sure you ask for examples and references if you see the need!

Like others mentioned, Paper Source is great - I created my own graduation announcements which are posted in my getcrafty blog, so you can maybe get some ideas from it! :)

Favors that people eat are the most popular because how many *normal* people really save those things?! :D

Martha Stewart Weddings is great and so is Budget Living (in general!). Perhaps you can find it at the local library so you don't have to buy them :)

Also, for the best man/bridesmaid.. what about your parents? Or your mom if your dad is walking you down the aisle? I'm not sure how close you may be with them, but it's just an idea :)

Definitely be careful about taking on too much. I did my brother's wedding a couple of years ago, and went completely over the edge. I hated the entire week because I was so busy! And I practically had a nervous breakdown on the actual wedding day.

So, some ideas - Keep the food simple. I really don't see anything wrong with super simple in the food arena. Definitely plan to have people serving/cleaning. I've used my teenage cousin and her friends for parties - they're cheap! Regardless of how much you prepare ahead of time, keeping up with food-related stuff will require more work than you think. I had four people working non-stop with a pretty full buffet and 200ish guests. And we could have used more. I usually have 2 "slaves" for my Christmas party - 30-50 people. It makes everything more enjoyable!

I love the cupcake idea. Several years ago, (I think on Lynnette Jennings' show) I saw a home-made tea stand that might be cute. She took a drill (I'm sure there's a specific bit you would use) and drilled holes in the center of mismatched old dinner plates. Then she got hardware that you use to add finials to lamps and screwed them together between the plates, with some kind of washer or something on the bottom, and a lamp finial with a loop at the top. I don't know how clear that is = they were really cute and I think would be nice to display the cupcakes on.

I'm with you on the bridesmaid issue, having a bazillion friends myself. I think people will get over it, if not be relieved they don't have to buy a dress.

We used a company called 2G roses: http://www.freshroses.com/volume.htm the flowers were beautiful and we arranged them ourselves & made boutiniers & corsages.

The one thing I was super-happy about with my brother's wedding was the favors. We had a stamp made with their names and the date (she wanted everything stamped) and stamped napkins with it. We also stamped small white paper bags from a craft store. We set them out on a table with lots of containers of candy. I used small metal buckets, and bulk candy from a discount store. Then we made notes up that said something along the lines of "A Sweet Treat for Our Guests." Everyone loved them!

The really important thing is to be happy and enjoy the day. If that means letting some little things slide, let them go! Just have fun, if at all possible.

CCD
    I just married this last summer. We had friends cater for us and a college friend photograph. We ordered our flowers from obiesfloral.com...dee dee from the website was awesome!! (you call and place order, very discount on flowers) but you have to clean and arrange the flowers yourself. Not too bad but we got a lot of flowers form them. I think costco is a wonderful idea for flowers also! But if there is a specific kind you want or you want to be sure something is in stock for the wedding this is a nice alternative.

I ordered my dress from ebay also and it was wonderful (less than $200). We made decorations from colorful paper bags (cut each bag in the shape of a petal, punched a hole in them and glued the edges to the next bag....sounds weird but we had really neat hanging flowers all over).

Centerpieces were so expensive so we bought sod and plastic drain trays from a local greenhouse, we planted seasonal bunches of flowering plants into the center of the sod pieces (which we cut ourselves ot fit in the drain trays). It took a couple hours and we just watered the sod and trimed it with a little electric hedge trimmer the day before the wedding....don't get distracted with one of those...I nearly cut the tip of my finger off!!!!)

For the bridesmaids and everyone else we made them corsages and the bridesmaids carried paper umbrellas (I forget the correct term). My husband had sponge painted the parasols the colors of our wedding, they were super neat and added wonderful splashes of color to the wedding.

The bridesmaid dresses we ordered from a discount retailer online. We tried the dress on in the shop and left and purchased from online.

Anyway, just an fyi. Don't try to do everything yourself...we were pretty fried by the wedding but if you have plenty of people able to help you'll be rocking!

Congratulations!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads