Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    This is obviously an old post, and I know that I made a similar post recently, but wanted to bring this one back into the light of day!

Am not a girl in this sense, by that I mean I am ill prepared for a lot of this stuff and generally not interested in the traditional stuff.

So I am finding that i have no idea what the basics are. Like an idiot I had to have a girlfriend tell me that i don't throw my own wedding shower!!
    hehee.

Can't honestly remember what details I put in my other post but - we are getting married on an Island in NC in Aug. next year. I'm not getting a dress, we aren't sending out invites (we are only having a few people come and have verbally invited them). it's going to be short and sweet. I hope to wear a coconut bikini and grass skirt! hehehe. afterwards i expect that we will all go out for dinner someplace, and thats about it!
    But the pre wedding-ey kinda stuff is what i am curious about.

Announcements? what the hell are these and when and why?
    Does anyone know the etiquette for an out of town affair? Meaning should I send an "announcement" (Once i figure out exactly what one is) to people who aren't going/invited. Out of town relatives etc. someone told me to include where we are registered with an announcement, but isn't that rude? Here, I didn't invite you but buy me a gift anyway, ok!?!?!?!

Thanks!
    M

2. # ADS

One thing to remember is that it is YOUR (and your SO's) day! And, that it is only ONE day. Focus on the marriage, not the wedding :)

I have seen simple announcements done, after a destination wedding, just on photocards from Wal Mart and Walgreens. I don't think you should include registry info, but that's just me. Most people will be able to figure it out, and word will spread through family and friends.

Martha Stewart (love her or hate her) has some great ideas, and great etiquette pointers. I have been in 9 weddings, so even though I am not truly an expert, I have a few ideas on things!

I just got hitched in August and had a BEAUTIFUL wedding on a VERY modest budget (we did it all for just under $5,000). We had friends and family helping every step of the way and that really made the difference.
    We were able to keep cost low by doing the following:

1. Had reception at the same outdoor setting as the ceremony.

2. Made invitations. This took some time but was lots of fun and they
    came out so great.

3. Found a florist (good family friend- which helped a LOT) who offered a "do it yourself" day for the family. Myself and my wedding party went to her house and spent a good part of the day creating all the arangements, boquets etc. In order to keep everything fresh- we had to do this the day before the wedding- ** not recommended for uptight or extremely overly stressed brides.

4. Had the wedding in the afternoon and served drinks and hors d’oeuvres- we had 6 items prepared by a catering company and the rest we came up with ourselves (delegated to reliable, close family and friends who we knew could handle the recipes )

5. Decorated with inexpensive candles- we got really cute glass jars from Specialtybottle.com . They were inexpensive and looked great with votive candles in them with little ribbons around the tops. We saved a couple hundred dollars and they looked wonderful in the outdoor setting.

6. Served beer and wine instead of liquor. This was a tough decision but a good one. No one seemed to notice and on a hot summer day a nice chilled white wine or champagne is just as elegant as a cocktail.

7. Home made favors. This can be tricky- but again, if you plan ahead you can have a great time with close friends making things people will enjoy. Again, look at Specialtybottle. A friend of mine made an inexpensive spice-rub and packaged it in 4 oz. tins with custom stickers at her BBQ / pic-nic themed wedding. The favors were so professional looking and she spent a little over $1.50 each.

Our wedding was a lot less formal than most- but that''s what made it fun and memorable for us. .. For all the future brides out there, please TAKE TIME TO ENJOY THE PROCESS! It will all be over before you know it- so spend time with friends and family and make every moment your own. Don''t let anyone talk you into making your day anything other than a reflection of yourself and your partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddymay
    Announcements? what the hell are these and when and why?
    Does anyone know the etiquette for an out of town affair? Meaning should I send an "announcement" (Once i figure out exactly what one is) to people who aren't going/invited. Out of town relatives etc. someone told me to include where we are registered with an announcement, but isn't that rude? Here, I didn't invite you but buy me a gift anyway, ok!?!?!?!
    Not to get all Miss Manners-y, but definitely don't include registry info with a wedding announcement. Technically, it is tacky to send those little registry cards out ever, but I get their practicality. It is slightly more acceptable if you are inviting people to an event. If you are just announcing your marriage, it really comes across as gift grubbing.

Some people will still want to send you a gift when they get the announcement. In general, if you register at one of the usual suspects (Macy's, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc) people who are inclined to purchase things from registries can probably still find you - either by asking around or by checking for you name at one of the stores. Other people will buy you weird things from weird stores you have never heard of that you can't return and have no interest in displaying in your home, but I think that is just part of the process.

You want to wait until you are married to send an announcement. Officially, that is when you have comething to announce. Before that, I think you are announcing an engagement. Which is fine, but people generally think they will be invited to a wedding if they are notified of an engagement or shower or other pre-wedding thing.

I think the format can be whatever you like - you could reproduce a photo from the ceremony or any one you like of you guys as a couple. You could just use printed text on a plain card or you can go nuts in the card making aisle at your local craft store.

I'd send them to anyone who you think would want to know that you are married. (Anyone who sends you a holiday card and might want to start addressing it to both of you, for example)

Presumably most of the people you are close to will have already heard you are getting married through less formal communications, but I think it is still nice to officially announce it.

what type of crafty idea you want?

Am still hilariously floundering on all this stuff.
    We aren't actually having a 'wedding' does that make sense? No, it doesn't, I know!!

We are going out of town - a handful of friends and family - less than 10 total will be there. No one is involved except us and the random magistrate we find to marry us on the island. I'm not getting a dress - I might have something made (as my sewing abilities are less than would be desired) to wear to dinner afterwards.

So it seems like honestly we don't need to do anything.
    It's extremely low key and non-traditional. So I can't even imagine what we would do for the actual ceremony, now that I really think about it.
    No reception afterwards - just reservations for us all to have dinner at a nice place. Now that I've figured out what announcements are - I intend to send them out to a select few people when we come home, but thats it.

Before hand we are having a pre-wedding/party/co-ed shower thing - instead of an actual bridal shower etc which i really dont want. So everyone can come who can't go to the coast for the wedding.

Though I am completely satisfied with all this, I feel like I am forgetting something vital...

any thoughts?[/i]

The only truly vital bit is that you come out married. Certainly research any local regulations for getting a marriage license - you don't want to realize you were supposed to do something 30 days out with only 26 days to go.

The rest is just icing. I'd make a point to have someone take photos for you. It may be a low-key and non-traditional day, but it is your day, and one you will want to remember.

If there are any traditions that speak to you, incorporate them. If you don't like it, don't do it.

Congrats!

Wedding dress ideas

Congratulations! I think You have to shop your wedding dress from Vasansi Jaipur. Vasansi Jaipur has a good collection of traditional wears. And I think you want to look beautiful in your wedding dress, and want to be a center of attraction then your wedding dress should be very different and beautiful.
    I personally suggest you buy your wedding dress from Vasansi Jaipur.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Ads