Thread: Rag rugs

Rag rugs

I'd like to make a rag rug but have no idea how to do it. There was a very thin book at the craft store with them in but it didn't even give good instructions or explained what kind of materials you use-not to mention it was $15. Can someone either explain it to me or tell me of a website that gives good instuctions? I was assuming it is a lot like latchhook, and I used to do that a lot. Am I correct? Tanks a bunch!

2. # ADS

haha! this is so funny you asked this, coz my dad and i were talking about this this morning! he was telling me about my gramma coz they lived during the depression and he said she would save scarps and stuff and make a rug out of them! neat, neat, neat. ohkay, this is how my dad explained it to me and this was from, the 20s30s soooo...here goes. he said my gramma would save scraps of fabric (he said she would use even her old stockings that were unmendable) and tie the scraps to each other. then she would take an oversized wooden crochet hook and crochet the scraps in a round way (i guess like you were crocheting a beanie or something?) and keep going around and around and around. until you're done i guess. i hope that helps atleast a little. and i was thinking you could sew some of the grippy stuff like for tubs and inside drawers to the bottom of your rug so it wouldn't slip or anything. you know? ohkay, well, i hope it helps... ^_^

The ones my parents have at home are really long braided pieces, which are then hooked together with thread. But I don't know how they hooked them together... I've never examined it closely enough. Here's a site where she latch-hooked a rug with old clothes, which sounds rad:
    http://www.4ormore.co.uk/projects/ragrug.htm

One of this year's issues of Martha Stewart Living had instructions for making a braided rag rug. The gist of it is that you take long strips of fabric and braid them into one really long braid. You add a new strip when you're near the end of one strip. When your braid is long enough, I think you use thread or something to wrap around the ends to keep the braid from unravelling. Then you wind the braid into a spiral, and use needle/thread to stitch along the spiral to hold it in shape.

I'm sorry if my instructions didn't make much sense. I don't think I saved that article, so I'm going from memory.

Thanks for bringing this up. I have amassed a ton of t-shirts through my job that I will never wear and my brothers refuse to take them anymore. I hit on the idea of a braided rug a few months ago but didn't find many good instructions. I'll be checking out all these suggestions!

Cool! Thanks for all the tips! I have to learn how to crochet, still stuck on knitting!

hi ill suggest you to go to google searcha bout this topic you ll get lots of solutions about it..there are so
    many sites who are providing online guidance to make rugs..so check google.
    you ll be able to get all info about making and knitting everythng. you can use tutorials also for this purpose..

Interesting idea. I'd never heard of rag rugs before!

My family and I went to Branson a couple of years ago, and spent a day at Silver Dollar City. There was this one shop that made rag rugs, place mats and table runners. All the shops at SDC had someone demonstrating the craft that produced the items they were selling. The man who was demonstrating a rug, called the technique "twining". He spent about 20 minutes instructing me and giving me tips. The rugs were made with strips of fabric that were woven on a simple frame. He suggested when I got home to find a picture frame in the size I wanted. I finally found a huge portrait frame at a yard sale. I went to the library and checked out "Twining Rag Rugs" to refresh my memory. I'm not done with the rug yet, but once I got the technique down, it is really easy.

Remove Ads

Ads