bulk craft supplies

My name is Sally and I'm new to the group.

I am looking for good sources for bulk craft supplies. I want to start my own part time craft business doing a little of this or that (kniting, crocheting, beading, greeting cards, soap, candles, etc. I'm still playing around with ideas.)

I'm looking for some good sources for bulk supplies. Most of the places I look either require a resale license, have way too high minimum purchases or are just cheap and crappy. I don't need 144 cases of paper mache boxes, but I might buy 144. I also don't need things packaged for resale, which may save me money.

Any good source for part time crafters just starting out are also recommended.

Thanks!

-Sally

2. # ADS

You should get a resale licsense anyway.

I'm finding that I can save a lot of money by checking out the sale and closeout sections of various craft supply sites. I suggest that you google each craft or type of supply that you want and then look for the sale pages of the sites that come up. Good luck. It isn't an easy job to get started, but persistence will pay off.

places like misterart.com, you can be an affiliate and make some extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by ursonate
    Can you tell me more? All of this is still in the planning stage. I don't plan on "reselling" anything necessarily. What types of permits and licenses would I need?

Quote Originally Posted by sallymania
    Quote Originally Posted by ursonate
    Can you tell me more? All of this is still in the planning stage. I don't plan on "reselling" anything necessarily. What types of permits and licenses would I need?
    "Resale" is a very loose term. A resale license allows you to buy the components for making items you will sell, as well as items that you will resell.

If you're planning to sell exclusively on the internet, there's no reason to bother with a resale license, unless you absolutely can't find the items you need from regular sources. If you're selling locally, yes, you'll need one. But beware. Some areas are very strict about selling, and I've heard of people being denied a license to sell from their home, on the basis that the zoning doesn't allow for a business. Even if customers don't come to your home and the business isn't any kind of hazard or disruption, you can wind up, not only without a license, but being on file with the local authorities as someone to check up on just in case.

Once I get started, I plan to focus on selling through craft shows and possibly the internet.

I may be moving in the near future, so I was going to wait until I moved before I actually do any of that stuff.

My other question is when do I have to worry about sales tax? It may take me a while to actually turn a profit at all. If I do three or four shows a year, do I register with the IRS?

Thanks,
    Sally

You should worry about sales tax the minute you make a sale. Contact your local government for details. It's usually not a big deal.

Remove Ads

Ads