What works as interfacing?

I am pretty new to sewing, planning my first bag. Do I need to go buy interfacing or can I use scrap fabric? I buy all my fabric CHEAP at the thrift store... I think it's really important to reuse as much as possible, so I try not to buy any supplies new if I can help it.
    Anybody have any suggestions for interfacing substitutes?

Thanks!!

2. # ADS

git yo interfacing, girl!

i'm brand new to the craft forum but saw this and just had to reply... i just started making handbags myself and have found interfacing to be my best friend. Not only does it beef up the integrity of your fabric, it makes it easier to sew if you have a thinner fabric that keeps slipping. There are different types of interfacing though, so you need to make sure you get the right ones. 1) i like the fusible kind, it has shiny glue on one side and is matte on the other.
    2) place the glue side down on the wrong side of the fabric and press for anywhere between 5-10 seconds and viola, fused fabric!
    3) i don't like the sew-in kind myself but it is good to use with really thick, heavy brocade and stuff. i mainly sew with cotton and silk so i use interfacing a ton!
    4) it's important to ask for the directions too- each measurement should automatically come with a set of instructions but sometimes that ladies don't give them out so you gotta ask. READ DIRECTIONS and youwill be fine!

Good luck with your journey into handbag nation!!

katie

i second what katie said-- also, at Joann, heavy-duty fusible interfacing by Pellon (the craft/home decor kind is best for bags with a real shape) is well under $3.00 a yard, and depending on the size of bag you're making, you can make a few with a yard. Also, you only really need to interface the outer bag fabric, not the lining (unless the lining is SUPER slippery).

slight clarification

Thanks for the interfacing info. I guess I wasn't clear with what I meant by my question... I'm trying to reuse existing materials as much as possible, rather than buy new things. I know interfacing is cheap, but I try to recycle when I can to be good to the earth, not just save money. So... besides actually buying interfacing, any ideas on creative reconstitutions of other odds and ends into interfacing?

Look for bed skirts at the thrift store. The part that covers the mattress is excellent for interfacing. I have them from very light weight to heavy weight. And each one, especially if you can find queen or king size, has enough for beaucoup projects. I also use it for patterns that are going to be used over and over again. Very tough, long-wearing stuff.

Excellent suggestion!!! Thanks so much-- that is exactly the sort of idea I was looking for. I can't wait to go thrifting and stock up :) It will work great with my purses made out of sheets... a bed bag, if you will ;)

Quote Originally Posted by homuncula
    Excellent suggestion!!! Thanks so much-- that is exactly the sort of idea I was looking for. I can't wait to go thrifting and stock up :) It will work great with my purses made out of sheets... a bed bag, if you will ;)
    LOL! Instead of a bed in a bag, you'll have bag out of bed. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Thanks for the interfacing info.

Remove Ads

Ads