Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bookshelves

bookshelves

i want to make them, but where's the best place to get cheap wood? is home depot my best option? i like in brooklyn, so i keep an eye out on the street, but most of it is pretty rough and gross. any tips on wood (or really even how to make em)?

2. # ADS

if you dont mind the extra work in dismantling them, pallet wood is usually great stuff. The newer the pallet the better condition of the wood. For the most part wood pallets can be found behind most any business.

Another idea is to get old stereo speakers from a thrift store, take out all the innards, and use the outer wood casing as a shelf. You can stack them, nail them together in different configurations, put legs on them, attach them to the wall, etc.

Ooh! Great idea!! Is it very hard to take the speaker part out? Does it just rip out or do you use special tools or anything?

Usually just a screwdriver will do it, but you may need pliers or phillips head or wire cutters, too. The guts are assembled outside the casing and then slipped in and fastened with maybe four screws. Save yourself grief and don't undo any screws you don't have to.

yeah, i actually thought pallet wood was a great idea too, and speaker suggestion is a killer one as well. i also saw a refrigerator out on the street and thought about taking those wire shelves, but they were all wound up in the cooling system. i'll keep my eyes peeled-- thanks for the tips!

Depending on the kind of wood the pallets are, they may not neccesarily be strong enough for bookshelves, but it depends on how big you want to make them and how much weight they need to carry. As for lumber, try Home Despot or Lowes (easier to get to on foot!). There's also a lumber store on St. Mark's and 4th Ave that has odd hours and one on Jay St. in Downtown Brooklyn.

I also find old wooden produce crates to be of use. They're pretty abundant here in Boston, but I don't know how many are kicking around the streets in Brooklyn. You can also bolt these to your wall, like the stereo speakers--great idea, by the way!

The old wood crates used for soda bottles are a perfect fit for two rows of paperbacks.... if you can find the crates. Look behind old bodegas(sp?) thats where I found one.

it's cheaper to buy particle board bookshelves at a place like Ikea or Target that it is to make them. wood is expensive, and woodworking is a hell of a lot harder than it looks.i mean, you might have all kinds of woodworking experience, so you'd be fine, but i don't, and everything i've ever made out of wood weights 300 pounds and looks like crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads