Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: button cuff

button cuff

i posted this over on craftster, but i felt like you all could use something new to look at. :)
    eventually i am going to make a whole bag out of the buttons sewn together, but these were just too small--took forever!--so i ordered more buttons for that project and called this a cuff.
    just thought i'd share--
    a.

2. # ADS

That's great!!!!!! I love cuffs, and I love buttons! Would the buttons have to all be uniform to do it?

I suppose you could use different ones as long as you kept some kind of pattern? SO CUTE!!!

they could be different colors, but i couldn't get it to go together unless they were the same size--and i mean THE SAME SIZE...because the tension is important and even a slight variation threw the whole thing off...though i bet you could make a bracelet, just one long chain, with slightly different sizes...
    a.

That is just too cool. I know a bunch of stores here in town that would go crazy over that...

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyChicaAZ
    That is just too cool. I know a bunch of stores here in town that would go crazy over that...
    LOVE IT!

thanks for your compliments. it's tedious to put them together and i seem to be horrible at explaining the process. i saw a sort of tote bag that was made all from buttons and i decided that i was going to figure out how they did it...and it took me a few attempts to get it right! (at least my version of right...have seen the bag again to compare!)
    basically it's about using non-stretchy string, going through each pair of holes twice and then going around each loop between the holes twice, too, to keep it tight. once you try it, it should all make sense. :)

That's so cool. How did you manage to tie it onto your own wrist? Or did you get someone to help?

When I saw the words "button cuff", I was reminded of where the custom began of putting buttons on shirt cuffs: A (king? military leader? I forget) got tired of seeing people wipe their noses on their shirt sleeves, so he started a fashion of putting buttons there to discourage it.

Your button cuff would work for that purpose too! :)

actually, getting it tied on my own wrist was tricky--and the cat didn't help at all! i think i can safely say that no nose-rubbing occurred during the wearing of the cuff. (at least not on that wrist!)

So pretty!I love the semetry!
    I made a button bracelet several years ago from all the buttons from my late mothers dresses and jackets(that she had hand sewn).Alot of them were shank buttons so there is alot of flippiness to it.I used wire and elastic string,but the one rusted out the other and it all needs to be restrung.Its been in my 'too fix' basket about 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlet_A
    thanks for your compliments. it's tedious to put them together and i seem to be horrible at explaining the process. i saw a sort of tote bag that was made all from buttons and i decided that i was going to figure out how they did it...and it took me a few attempts to get it right! (at least my version of right...have seen the bag again to compare!)
    basically it's about using non-stretchy string, going through each pair of holes twice and then going around each loop between the holes twice, too, to keep it tight. once you try it, it should all make sense. :)
    This may seem like a stupid question: Did you just use one super long piece of string/ribbon for the entire thing? (aside from what you used to tie it on your wrist, I mean)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads