Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

aahhh!!! crafty organization skills?

i have this problem with all my *craft supplies*...i am so hopelessly unorganized and does anyone have any ideas on how to store stuff? like, magazines/newspapers for collage art...yarn...sewing supplies...paint stuff...i think i just need a room to be the craft room. >_< not like that's gonna happen anytime soon...but i will appreciate any advice. my problem is i just see all this crap, but i don't see it as crap! i see it like, *oh! this would be so cool to make into ________* and i keep it and i don't wanna get rid of it (yes, i am called a pack rat by some...) because then as soon as i don't have it i will want to use it! so i just need a good way to keep it all together. and uncluttered. i should probably spring for some kind of organization system thing from home depot or somewhere, but who has the cash?? so any and all advice on how to create a kid friendly, relatively clutter free, organized *craft haven* /bedroom will be utterly appreciated!!! and not just for craft supplies. i mean, if you figured out how to keep your closet looking like the ones in the magazines and stuff...throw that in too! hahaha....no, really!!! ^_^

2. # ADS

Well, I'm taking a day off of work this week so I have the sitter here with the kids and completely gutting a small space in our apartment currently home to 7 shelves stuffed with books and videotapes along with our litter box - in an attempt to turn it into a personal space for my husband and myself. Making some crafty storage is definitely on the agenda. If I have any revelations I'll be happy to let you know.

Some possible suggestions (which I will be trying out myself): start by dedicating a full day - no distractions - and start tossing things (clothes, bags, your partner/spouses old high school textbooks.....but keep the craft stuff!! :-) ) into a pile for the stoop/yard sale come spring. Then see what's really left to organize. You can actually get inexpensive craft storage solutions at dollar or big lot stores. I'd recommend a really large plastic toolbox (which I've bought at the local dollar store) you'll be surprised by how much fits, and even cheap toolboxes are pretty sturdy by design. Also, the container store has inexpensive magazine files - I'd buy the cheapest, that's what duct tape is for, and you can get a three ring binder with some plastic sheet protectors and instead of saving the entire magazine you can tear out what you want to try later and file them in the clear sheets, then you can see what's there without holding the extra bulk. I do this for recipes and it works pretty well - one binder instead of years of magazines.

And don't be fooled by my appearance of organizational obsessiveness. After 7 years our apartment still perpetually looks like we've just moved in. With 2 toddlers, cat and tons of stuff, it's really a revolving door of boxes and bags. But I believe I can conquer eventually, which is all that really matters....

haha, thanks! you know, i was in lowes hardwaee the other day and i found this gian tool kit that was plastic and on wheels!!! how cool! i'm thinking bout grabbin one or two to use for paint stuff and yarn stuff... could be cool! ^_^ thanks for the suggestions!

One of the best organizational plans I've come across is to organize your house like a kindergarten - this is the reading center, listening center, art center, etc. The old house had enough space for me to do that and it was great.

Also, when my house looked its best back when I was playing housegirlfriend I was following FlyLady's general plan. Her guidelines for getting rid of old crap really helped me finally unpack boxes that I had moved three times already.

IKEA has excellent and cheap organisers. I live in a 1br apt, so no craft room for me. I got one of those classic white 2-door closet, placed some shelves, and filled them with plastic and cardboard boxes to organize all the bits and bobs. My machine, hardware and fabric rolls all fit too. Go through the IKEA borchure (or better, their showrooms) to get some organisation ideas too. I love IKEA.

You're probably asking the wrong people if you're thinking about actually *staying* organized. I keep trying, but it always overflows eventually. I use a lot of plastic shoe boxes from the dollar store. I have two shallow storage containers under my bed. My fantastic son gave me an Ikea shelf unit a couple of years ago. But it keeps growing, just like wire hangers at the back of the closet. Plastic bags of yarn and velvet are sitting on the floor waiting from me to find a place for them. Aaarggghhhh!

Personally I find it easier to keep organized if I group everything by craft. I am also a user of the clear boxes and in those I keep my embroidery stuff, stamping stuff, etc.

Also I try and think about organizing things by their tendancy to spill everywhere. Fabric is fine to sit on a shelf stacked up, it won't go anywhere and doesn't need a box. Stamps are loose so they need a box. Paper stuff I am keeping for collages goes in a drawer because that is impossible to organize and will spill everywhere.

I also agree with the toolbox idea, I haven't gotten mine yet but it makes sense to have one place for things like hammers and glue sticks, stuff that can be used for multiple crafts. And toolboxes are so cheap!

As for the closet, I just say, use every inch of space and you possibly can. Our closet is stuffed full of shelves and drawers, perhaps it is the way my boyfriend and I dress but I've found I don't really need to hang up a lot of stuff. Also I put in a big plastic cheap-o shelf for my boyfriends t-shirts and other clothes and he really likes being able to see what's clean, grab a shirt off the shelf and go.

ti
    just wondering, how does everyone organize their crochet hooks, knitting needles and yarn?

I like to see my stuff and seeing it helps to keep me motivated to keep it going.

I keep my crochet hooks in a flat rubbermaid type container with a lid, possible a 'deli-keeper. I then throw it in my large clear plastic container of yarn sheins.

The dollar stores are great for this. I bought a few clear 3 drawer storage containers and divided and labeled my supplies by holidays and then an every day type of thing. I also have a few under the bed storage totes that I keep material, thread, flowers, that sort of thing in. I have a VERY small house so I can feel for you.

Tracy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads