+ Reply to Thread

Where to find buckwheat?

I want to make a little unscented microwavable pillow for my cat like the one I bought at Petco for my other cat. The Petco one is filled with buckweat in a little pouch that you can remove to wash the fleece cover. Any thoughts on where to find buckwheat for the filling?

I tried letting her use an eye pillow that someone gave me as a gift, but the mint an lavender scent is the opposite of relaxing for cats!

2. # ADS

they're probably filled with buckwheat hulls, not buckwheat itself. buckwheat hulls make a fairly heavy, firm, but springy and crunchy-feeling pillow. buckwheat grains are like rice grains, but angular and brownish.

i've never heard of microwaving buckwheat hulls though, so maybe i'm totally wrong!

i make pillows filled with rice (any kind; i just use cheap brown rice) to microwave for that kind of thing. my cat has a flat pillow full of rice, and he loves it.

if you decide you want buckwheat hulls, they sell them in bulk at Community Market in Santa Rosa. if you're not in that part of the bay area, try a feed store.

ti
    Be careful with heating up certain kinds of buckwheat hulls in the micro - I've experimented with it and some types actual burn in the micro - truly an awful smell to get out of your house!

Yes, they are buckwheat hulls. I actually thought it was flaxseed but when I actually looked at the pouch inside the retail pillow it says buckwheat hulls.

Thanks for the info... brown rice might be the way to go since Santa Rosa is more of a drive than I can make right now!

You should be able to get it and "other" various an sundry choices at your local health food store/coop's bulk dry goods area....

Isn't that also what old pillows had inside them? I remember my grandparents' pillows feeling like that and I loved them. If so, I might make my own pillows.

i think most old pillows were filled with feathers. they have a crunchy springy feeling too.

when I make relaxation eye pillows I use flax seeds..... could you use some cheap beans fromt he grocery store for your pet?

I just posted this link over on someone's blog and thought i'd share it here: http://www.diamondthreadworks.com/mi...ating_bags.htm it's a really comprehensive page all about making heating bags- what to put in them, what not to put in them, that sort of thing.
    And I know you are not in the UK but for once it's great to post about somewhere that I can get to but you American's can't: http://www.solstuf.co.uk/ it's a Uk supplier of lavender, catnip and wheat to make your own pillows with. I was really excited to find them and the person I spoke to on the phone was so nice and friendly I want to spread the word (the website's having a few problems right now)

Ads