French Knot Help S'il vous plaît

I hope someone can help me. I am new to the world of embroidery and having a lot of fun learning and practicing new stitches. I am having difficulty mastering the french knot. I've followed several different step by step guides, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Every time I try to make the knot my needle and floss simply slip through the fabric, with no knot left behind. Help! I hope someone has some tips....or maybe I just need to practice more?

2. # ADS

This is hard to describe in words, but what I try to do is hold my thumb over it and that helps it not pull through. Also double wrapping around the thread can make it bigger which can help.

french knots are the worst- I threw my crewel embroidery across the room after trying time and time again to get it right. I remember hating them when I was a kid, and decided to try and forget about my bad experiences and start with new optimism- I just suck at french knots and have decided never again...

It depends on the weave of the fabric, and the amount of floss or thread you are using.

Kindarana's description is good. I double wrap close to the tip of the needle on top of the fabric. Wherever my needle came up through the fabric, I try to move it off just a bit for going down and through. Wider weaves like linen and aida, you more or less have to split fibers in the warp or weft to secure the french knot.

Do not pull tight. A lot of hand embroidery problems would be solved if you relax your tension a bit.

I'm so sorry you are being driven crazy by french knots, I love them! It is hard to write out, but I'll try ... I hold my work in my lap and wind the thread, sometimes several times because I like big knots. I try and wind it higher on the needle, because if you wind it at the bottom sometimes the knots slip off. You definately should use two hands, which is why I am thinking of getting a stichery holder. Also I think maybe you are having a problem with slip through because you are re-inserting in the same hole you came up out of? I come up through the fabric to the right side, wrap my thread around my needle and them reinsert right next to the original hole.

Ugh, somethings are so impossible to describe in words ... I hope this is helpful because as I said french knots are awesome, if you put a bunch together they make the coolest texture.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzymahoney
    Wider weaves like linen and aida, you more or less have to split fibers in the warp or weft to secure the french knot.

Do not pull tight. A lot of hand embroidery problems would be solved if you relax your tension a bit.
    This is so true - after the French Knot you can run the thread under some stitches so that you don't pull it tighter than necessary when you do the next stitch and to "secure" it.

I will try to describe the techniqe - I wrap around once, put my needle back down NEXT to the original hole (very closely, like 1 fiber away), then pull the wrap tight around the needle and close to the fabric. At this stage there is a little circle around my needle (what will be my knot) and then my thread trailing out and into my needle. Then, I slowly pull the needle and thread through. The thread will catch around the loop and hold it there on the fabric.

Some people find colonial knots much easier to do, and they look just as nice. Here's a description:

http://www.serve.com/marbeth/colonial.html

del

*edited for typos

Thanks!

I know its been a few weeks but thank you all for the advise and encouragement. My Knots are getting a little better. It has definitely helped to not pull so tightly.

Cheers and Merci!
    Erica

some help!

I found this for you, I know it's in swedish but I think you dont have to read because the picture is easy to understand. you can find the description at the bottom of the page were you can read : Knutar eller franska knutar and on the right of that text you will find what I think is a good description! I hope this will help you! / Ankan

http://www.alexia.nu/stygn.html

Remove Ads

Ads