Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

packaging biscotti?

I don't think this belongs in consuming pleasures, b/c i already have the recipe and need suggestions on how to package it once its done! The cherry biscotti recipe in this month's Martha Stewart Living looks SO good-- any suggestions on a way to package a few at a time to give as valentines that won't break the bank? I'm thinking those waxed-paper bags that are clear-ish, stapled with colored stapes and paper hearts... any other food-friendly won't-get-stale, not too spendy packaging tips?

2. # ADS

If there is a cake+candy supply store around where you live (around here, we have Wilson Candy), most carry a supply of clear bags for packaging things in. You can get them with designs on them [at Christmas, they carry them with glittery stars on the outside, as well as little holly leaves and berries, but the designs don't *cover* the bags, you can still see whats inside], like little hearts, and also in several different sizes. You *may* also be able to find the bags at your local grocery store.

Just buy a pack or two, put the biscotti inside, and then fold the plastic over and staple it shut. You could also use paper hearts 'sandwiched' on either side of the folded-over top, and then staple, so that it's not just the plain little baggy.

We did this for packaging candy my mom and I made for relatives, at christmas, only instead of using paper hearts used decorated to+from cards folded over both sides of the fold, and then stapled.
    Oh, and sorry if this is confusing, I couldn't figure out how to describe it perfectly. :\

i make biscotti at christmas and as a gift to my uncle all the time. i prefer to put the biscotti in boxes. if you can get a box that is as wide as your biscotti are long and about 2 biscotti deep they'll look really nice line up like little soldiers in there. you can line the box with tissue too. put a simple ribbon bow around the white box and it will look great.
    you can probably get boxes like these at a candy supply store.

thanks for the great ideas! and tootsiecat-- how long does homemade biscotti keep?

i'd put them in plastic. biscotti gets stale and soggy really fast if it's not stored in an air-tight container or wrapped in plastic. at the bakery we used to work at, the biscotti were made weekly, and by the end of the week, the old biscotti were already getting soft.

if you're going to make them, and then give them within the next day or two, paper bags and boxes work okay, but i really prefer to keep them in plastic.

belleepoque
    the biscotti i make are soft-ish at first and kept in a box they get harder. you may say "stale" but my old world italian relatives tell me that's suppose to happen. when they get harder they're perfect for dunking. they dunk them in wine (!!) but i dunk them in tea. soo yummy.

ps if your recipe turns out too hard at first and you want to try it making them again but softer, add an egg. i adjust flavored biscotti to my grandmother's vanilla almond recipe. because it is the perfect recipe. : )

A way that I packaged my biscotti was to put them in a ziploc, roll them in a sheet of tissue paper, then roll them in wax paper. Fold the ends over the back so the meet and tie a nice ribbon around the package.

i make my biscotti hard and dry to begin with, so that explains my packaging preference :)

i'm of the "biscotti are supposed to be rock-hard and dry" biscotti school, so i make them dry to begin with.

i think there's a difference between regular biscotti (which is supposed to be twice baked so it is hard and dry) and biscotti that is only baked once and is softer.

this thread gives me a great idea, i wanted to make some valentines for friends and this will be perfect.

also - i don't know if this question belongs in this thread - i bake desserts for a support group for homeless HIV+ women. i'm assigned to the wednesday after valentine's day. so i wasn't sure if i should make something valentine-y or not, and if i did, would something subtle, like cherry biscotti be good? or would it be better to just ignore the "holiday"?

i think that subtle valentine thing would be fine-- I could be wrong, but I think most women I know like to get a valentine-- from a friend or anyone, just to know they are loved. it seems like the women you are working with might like that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads