Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zines

Zines

I've been wondering... how exactly do you make a zine... i'm not sure if there are any basic guidlines, or anything... maybe some of you have tips you'd be willing to share?

2. # ADS

I don't know how, but I'm really interested in finding out how too! I hope someone replies!

1. put stuff on paper (or other media)
    2. make copies
    3. distribute
    3a. if you send a copy to me, I will add it to the Austin Zine Library

Perhaps your best place to start is to read other peoples' zines.

Thanks ursonate,

I ordered two or three zines last night from a website i found and i'm anxiously awaiting their arrival... i figured that that would be a good way to start. if i manage to cobble together anything i am specially proud of, i will send you a copy. would you mind giving me a mailing address?

A zine about making zines is "Stolen Sharpie Revolution." I haven't read it, but it's supposed to be really really good, & her other zines are great (interesting writing & cool layouts & stuff), so it should be fantastic. I think it's like, 96 pages or something, so lots of info. Here's a store where you can get it:
    http://www.lastgasp.com/d/22334/
    Otherwise, just read a lot of zines & find out what you like. One distro I like with lots of selection is:
    http://www.panderzinedistro.com/

I've been reading zines for like 10 years or something, so I've seen a ton. My favorite zines are those that are a bit different than others. Like if they have a special cover, or different kinds of paper, or extra stuff included, or a sewn binding instead of staples. Some zines out there are absolutely amazing.
    I started on a zine last year, but haven't finished it yet due to it being at my parents', & me not being there. Soon, though...
    We should have a zine swap, where all us first-timers can trade with each other!

You could also ask friends or maybe even fellow getcrafty girls to contribute an artical. me me me! I've had plentry of friends put together zines. I've helped on a couple of projects. I've done fun receipies, polls, music related stuff and fun crafty projects. Whats the basic concept? Girl related zine, crafty related zine, music related zine? Finding your nitch can be very helpful. Good luck and must of all HAVE FUN!

looks like you already got plenty of help on how to make a zine...but when you do trade with me! (i have a post about my zine on my journal)

i've been making zines on and off for about six years, and the beauty of them is that there is no right or wrong way to do it. just put something together that you feel passionate about and proud of, and people are bound to respond.

This may be a stupid question but are zines only for people up to their 20s?
    I'm pushing 40 here and I think I'd like to make one once I see what others are dfoing but I have this feeling that I would be out of place.

And Evil Olive, I love your name. :)

Terri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads