+ Reply to Thread

Make my own ceiling light cover?

So I have an uncovered ceiling light in my bedroom, and I'd like to make a pretty/interesting cover for it. The fixture is the kind that has two bulbs parallel to the ceiling, and there's a metal part with a threaded end that hangs down below the bulbs: this is where one of those glass, slightly curved covers would normally go, which would be held on with a screw.

I thought I could make some kind of wire frame and cover it with paper, but (a) maybe it would be a little difficult to make a frame and (b) maybe the paper would catch on fire? (eek!)

Any ideas? I can imagine all sorts of things in my head (stamped sheet metal? painted plexiglass?), but I need some help figuring out what's feasible.

2. # ADS

how about rice paper? I have a rice paper lantern and the paper doesn't even feel warm when the light is on. Of course I would suggest using low wattage bulbs and making the frame big enough so that the paper isn't too close to the bulb.

How much light do you want to come from the ceiling? A thin fabric covering would be neat for really low light.

Something I've always wanted to try is to take the handle off a parasol (with a saw I suppose) and somehow attach that to the ceiling fixture. It would be fun to choose the color and designs!

I love the parasol idea! Sounds pretty easy...cut off the handle, attach some sort of screw or bolt to the end...hmm....

Maybe I'll try that this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the ideas!

Air Duct Vent Light

While my boyfriend was searching for some thing to fix our faucet at Home Despot, I got bored and started looking at the metal air duct things across the aisle. Hmm, I thought, what if I could fit one with a small opening (they just look like metal - tin? - tubes about 5 inches in diameter and maybe 6 inches long) over the horrible naked light bulb socket in our bedroom (like the kind people have in basements, it's just a bulb and a socket on the ceiling). We're not electicians, and we're lazy, so we didn't want to change the fixture out. The duct part was only a few bucks, and it actually worked. We just fit it over the socket and held it in place with some screws. It doesn't provide much shade from the bulb, but it does give a nice industrial feel to the room and hides that awful socket. I was very impressed with my craftiness.

-chinabat-

when i first moved into my apartment i disliked the kitchen light, because it was just a lightbulb with string... so i took a paper lantern and covered it with tissue paper - the glue give the lantern enough stiffness that you no longer need the wire frame... i then screwed two hooks into the ceiling and hung it up...

the string hangs down through the hole and i don't have to take it down to change the bulb...

quornflour
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/quornflour/

Here's an idea with step-by-step instructions:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~traceyb/thrift4/diyoct.html

I was thinking about something along those lines too. I have an overhead fixture I need to cover, but I haven't decided what I want to do yet.

My other idea was to find a cool-looking decorative glass bowl and drill a hole through the bottom to put a screw through. Except that I have no idea how to drill through glass.

-S

Ads