need knitters help

OK I have about 60 patterns I have printed off the internet and books of patterns. I'm always itching to do a craft but mainly using worsted weight yarns because I have oodles of it. My problem is I only have sizes 10, 11, 7, 4, 19, 35 and a 10.5 29" circular. I was going to buy either one of the interchangable sets or just buy a set of all sizes of needles. Would it be worth it? Would it be worth spending about 40 - 50 bucks at once and getting all sizes of needles or would it be more worth it to buy them as needed? Opinions needed!

2. # ADS

Interchangeable needles are SOOOO WORTH IT! I don't know what I'd do without mine - the only time I ever use any other needles is if I'm making something really tiny.

If you figure each individual pair of needles would cost you roughly $5, it's easy to see how $40-50 for 11 different sizes of needles that can be either straight or any size circular - plus stitch holders and a neat storage case for everything - is really a bargain.

Half the needles you now own are in sizes not included in an interchangeable set, so you're not being as redundant as you might think. Definitely make the investment, and you won't be sorry! Also, Denise has very prompt, personal customer service if anything goes wrong with your needles. I am NOT a representative of the Denise company, honest! Just a very satisfied customer.

I agree with Katrin - I love my Denise interchangeables. I only use other needles if I need something smaller than a 5 or bigger than a 15. They really are the best - so versatile, and excellent for pretty much any kind of project. Also, knitting on circular needles is supposed to be better for your hands and wrists - and in my experience, I think it's helped me.

for a different opinion... i don't have an interchangeable set and i don't plan on getting one. i very much prefer wood or bamboo needles, for one thing, and i often use needles in the 1-3 size range, so the interchangeable sets are not enticing to me.

if you like plastic needles and you use the sizes they offer, though, it might be worth the investment. i've heard a few complaints about the locking system on the Denise needles, but very few.

see my only concerns and i should have put this in my prior post is that my goal is start knitting socks...lots of socks which normally need 1-5 size needles so i know i'll be buying those. I've never used a circular and the one time i tried it was quite frustrating when casting on when the stitches went off the needle and onto the cord it felt very floppy. I'll get used to them though. Thanks for all the input!

Ahhh...if you're knitting socks, interchangeables might not be of much use for you. Denise's smallest size is 5 (I don't know about other kinds), and it's my understanding that socks usually take smaller needles than that. You'd probably be better off getting a few sets of DPNs if socks are your main goal.

As for circular knitting, personally I love it. I convert all sweater patterns to circular and knit the whole front and back at once - I'm afraid I'd lose momentum any other way, "finishing" and then having to start over from the beginning. Even for things like scarves, I knit straight on circulars - it's just so much easier and faster for me. The few times I've tried to go back to straight needles, they've felt so awkward in my hands, and I always end up losing one of the pair mid-project!

I keep reading about knitting socks or other small tubular items on two circulars instead of DPNs. I've never tried that, but I did recently figure out a "faux two circulars" technique using interchangeables. I reasoned that since you're only ever using two points at once (of the 4 you'd have with 2 circulars), you should be able to use just two interchangeable needles with stoppers and keep switching the stoppers and points when you get to the end of the needle. It works - but don't ask me to explain it right now, 'cause I've only done it once and still don't have the technique memorized if it's not right in front of me.

Next time I knit a sweater, I'm going to try doing the sleeves this way so I don't have to sew a seam halfway up.

i think i'm gonna buy the denise set because i wont be sticking with JUST socks and i'll buy dpns of the smaller sizes i mean hey if i absolutly hate the interchangable i can always sell it and go back to buying as i need.

I just want to add another vote for the Denise set. I hemmed and hawed for the longest time over buying them, and finally got them. They're fabulous. I rarely use straight needles anymore...why deal with the extra weight?

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    for a different opinion... i don't have an interchangeable set and i don't plan on getting one. i very much prefer wood or bamboo needles,
    Agreed! I will only use Bamboo---love my bamboos!

I have to say that I have bought very few sets of needles new. I usually find them in abundance at thrift stores or garage sales. Especially sock size dpns. (sizes 1-4.)
    I don't know if you have access to much thrifting where you are, though.
    I love dpns! Are you looking for a specific size RIGHT NOW? Cause I could see if I have some extras (I have lots) and ship them w/ your skirt.

Remove Ads

Ads