Cement stepping stones

I've been making stepping stones using different kinds of cement with broken pottery and seashells, but I'm sort of getting board with just those and my pathway is not yet complete! I guess the pottery is just annoying because I can only seem to find neat bowls, nothing nice and flat, so my stepping stones are a little too 3d.... Does anyone have any ideas?

2. # ADS

I gather you have been going to thrifts and rummage sales for old plates? That would be my suggestion for flatter things.

But you can mosaic with river rock, broken glass, even wood pieces.

There are concrete dyes you can use when you mix it for a change of color.

An old burned out homestead near my former town had nothing left but the chimney, a front wall to the porch and the porch floor. It was all concrete, but the artist owner drew fanciful designs into it, random images of peacocks and alligators and hibiscus and stars, stuff like that. Very interesting. He apparently painted the floor a few times, and most of the surface paint had worn or burned off, so some lines of color were in his deeper gouges.

His concrete retaining wall had random rocks and pottery stuck into it with an occasional brick or other odd bit. I have no idea what the place looked like since it was a private estate and burned forty years ago.

http://craftychicaprojects.blogspot.com/

Check out Kathy's pages. A little less than halfway down she has Extreme Mosaic Frame with some ideas you can incorporate. Probably lots more things to inspire.

Why not get rid of those odd beads or junk jewelry bits that are flattish?

I'd bet you could bake some sculpey molded bits of coins or medallions that would look cool.

Legos?

Ooooh, how about one with a thrifted and flattened knife fork and spoon combo?

Also texturize with burlap or astroturf or hardware cloth.

I think those big and small flat back marbles would look lovely in different colors. And hey, how about some glitter?! I know you can mix paint and glitter and get a pretty effect, do you think that would work with cement?

Seashells would be pretty.

Don't forget a stepping stone with your pet's pawprints in it if you have pets. ;) Can you tell I'm an animal person?

Haha, my poor cat is going to cat it, but he is going to make a paw-print stepping stone for me. I actually just got some of those flat marble things. And glitter is a good idea.

And I'm going to have to start looking for some junk jewelry and stuff.

Remove Ads

Ads