Thread: Zipper question

Zipper question

Hello all!

I just spent $25 at my local dry cleaners, having the zipper replaced in my calf-length winter coat. It's a little form-fitting -- and quite cute for a fake-down-filled number -- and I was greatly pleased to find out, when my original zipper broke, that it would be no big deal to put in a replacement.

When I picked up the coat today, the new zipper was in...and it was BRIGHT GOLD. The rest of the zippers on the pockets, etc are black to blend in with the coat. It's my bad because, really, I didn't specify a color when I brought the coat in. I guess I just assumed they would do their best to match the other zippers but I didn't ask them to, specifically. Honestly, it's blinding and makes the coat look really cheap and awful.

Without having to go back and pay ANOTHER $25 (or more if they have to find the black zipper somewhere else) do you have any suggestions for how to camouflage the gold zipper? Some kind of paint of dye that won't clog the zipper?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS

have you called them about the different colors? Maybe they made a mistake and would own up to it and replace it for free?

ask (or tell) them to re-do it! they shouldn't have but a bright gold zipper in a black coat to begin with.

If it is metal you could spray paint it.

ti
    seriously they should have known better - try to see if they will replace it ...

I called them yesterday and they said that was the only zipper in that length they were able to carry. The coat is about mid-shin-length. They also said that they were the best quality zippers out there. I asked if I could find a replacement zipper in black would they replace it for me and they said yes but they didn't know if the seamstress would charge me again.

Frustrated. *sigh*

This doesn't surprise me at all. The only thing is that they could have mentioned it to you up front. The long length zippers available out there to the average sewer are usually bright brass, and they are made for upholstery so they are hidden.

Where the coat manufacturers get them, I don't know. Maybe you could find a thrift coat that could be pillaged for the zipper, but it's still a lot of work.

I doubt anybody who takes in such work would do it for free just because you didn't know. There wasn't an intent to trick, but the drycleaner was not able to inform you ahead of time. The sewer would have if you had direct contact. This is probably someone of several that they deal with for sewing repairs, but not a contract employee. The cleaner is working as a broker in this case.

There is no paint that will stick to a brass zipper that gets used a lot. The black or other color metal zippers are typically anodized aluminum.

Thanks for your help everyone! After a few days of wearing the coat, I am getting used to the gold. I have decided to get crafty and make a cute zipper pull to make it look a little better (and to save me some $ and stress.)

I would totally have flipped out. I would ask for the replacement free of charge or on the drycleaner). Seriously, that is unacceptable. You don't change someone's clothes like that and then say, sorry, not my problem. If no "appropriate" zipper was available I would have asked for my $25 back in gift certificates for the drycleaners.

I probably would have made it very clear that they goofed, and they shoudl fix it; if they did not I would laso make it clear that neither me nor anyone I know would ever shop their again. Seriously that was uber-uncool!!!!

delqc

Remove Ads

Ads