Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help! I've been asked to make a bracelet.

Help! I've been asked to make a bracelet.

One of my friends asked me yesterday to make a bracelet for her girlfriend. I have never made a bracelet before that was anything more than stringing beads on a piece of stretchy string. Apparently, her girlfriend is going to be hiking the Virginia leg of the Appalachian Trail in a couple of weeks, and will not be able to wear the ring that my friend gave her. My friend wants her to have a keepsake to take, thus the bracelet. I told her I wasn't sure if I could do it, but that I'd think about it. The bracelet would have to be something really durable, light, not dangly, etc. Anything beady, sparkly, or overtly girly is out of the running. Any ideas? I'd be super duper thankful!

2. # ADS

If you want to stick with stretchy cord, Hobby Lobby carries some geat coconut shell and other very natural, and very lightweight beads. Otherwise, you can even go with some plain or striped seed beads, and add a few silver rondelles...they always add a nice touch, without being too fancy. I have always loved African trading beads too, vibrant colors but fairly casual. Fire Mountain carries a really neat set called African Christmas Beads (on their website www.firemountaingems.com , item #50928gb). They are gorgeous, I wear mine frequently.

These could all be done on wire, with crimp beads and clasps also.

Sorry to ramble....beads are my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by acebeader
    Fire Mountain carries a really neat set called African Christmas Beads (on their website www.firemountaingems.com , item #50928gb). They are gorgeous, I wear mine frequently.
    The item number is 501928GB
    http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=501928GB

Sorry about that!

This may or may not be helpful, but what about customizing a nalgene bottle?

When my bf went to college, I gave him a nalgene bottle with some macrame and beads on the lid's plastic hinge. It's held up well for 2 years now, and it's unique. The only issue may be that the nalgene could be too heavy for the trail, but a lot of hikers I know use them.

I know that when I go hiking, jewelry really bothers me because my hands and feet swell a bit.

Oooh, how about making customized zipper pulls? You can find cute charms at a bead store and then put them on crab claw closures or clips and she can put them on various backpack zippers. Your friend could even make a custom poem of their meanings, like:
    -heart - my love for you
    -smiley face - i smile whenever i think of you
    -hiking boot - for all the hikes we've taken together.

Or is that too cheesy?
    twebster likes this.

Great ideas! Those beads are lovely, acebeader. And I love the idea for the zipper pulls, smudgy.

What about those snap bracelets/cuffs that you can make out of vinyl and felt? Would that be too hot or bothersome? I was thinking of making a tiny photo collage (or something along that line) of Deb (my friend) and making it into one of those bracelets...

I really like these ideas! Please keep them coming!

how about macrame from hemp with a bead now and then? Macrame is super easy, all you have to know how to do is tie a knot. I would explain it but I'm sure there are zillions of sites out there that show how to do a plain macrame stitch.

jt

What about printing some pictures onto shrinky dink plastic and then punching holes in them and shrinking them? You could make the shrunken things into a bracelet, and it would be pretty sturdy too. You could also put pins on the back of them and she could stick them on her backpack or hat.

Maybe do a mapquest picture of where she'll be hiking and incorporate that into a shrinky dink bracelet.

Also, the macrame/bead nalgene bottle thing fell off last week. It lasted about 2 years before it just disintegrated sending a shower of beads down the steps at Sproul hall. Hee hee.

I'm sure this sounds stupid, but what is shrinky dink plastic? Can I find it at a crafts store?

I know Hobby Lobby carries it.

They are sheets of plastic that can be run through your printer. It works really well, but they are kind of brittle. My sister and I made keychains of our dogs, and after a few weeks, they broke off. You have to cut each one out and put the hole in it before you bake them. If they are too big (we tried one whole sheet, to experiment) it will curl onto itself, and just make a mess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads