Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Yarn

Acrylic Yarn

2. # ADS

I used it to make Gameboy Advance cozies for my son and my roommate's son. The cheapie stuff is great for projects that won't necessarily be worn next to the skin because the colors are bright and easy to match and it wears like iron!

Some other acrylics are actually kind of nice, but not quite so inexpensive. :)

acrylic yarn is great for baby stuff because you can throw it in a washing machine and not worry about shrinking. some brands are better than others. lion brand is the best quality, IMHO. and caron makes a really soft acrylic (i forget what it's called, maybe "simply soft?") that really is soft. i bought skeins of the caron at a.c. moore for $1.88!

i love acrylic! i agree with athena about lion brand being very nice-- soft and not itchy and comes in good colors. i like acrylic for small projects like hats, mittens etc.

however, if i was investing a lot of time into making a sweater etc. I would probably invest in proper wool yarn.

there are a lot of better acrylic yarns being produced now and they definitely do keep their shape much better, both during washing, but also it doesn't stretch while the item is being made. with all the advances in the textile industry, there should be a lot less stigma connected with man-made fibers. it's not all 1980's oversized acrylic sweaters and polyester doubleknit!

i crochet stuffed animals and balls for my kids with different textured acrylics, as well as their baby blankets and some of their hats as well.

there are some really cool boucle acrylics that i have made some really cool hats out of (and made a killing at selling, to boot.) these are generally ~$6 per skein. not cheap, but cheap compared to some of the boutique yarns, which are beautiful, but not realistic when you're on a budget, and certainly not logical when making items for children.

that Caron yard is called 'simply soft. Paton makes some GREAT yarns as well. i made a blanket for my daughter of it - it was a really chunky varrigated red/magenta/orange/yellow/lavender yarn. definitely not cheap. but on the afforable side. funny - i wasn't willing to pay $15 for a blanket for her but was more than willing to pay $30 for the yarn to make one! was worth it, though. she absolutely loves it.

I made a lovely sweater this winter with Sorrento acrylic yarn. (I can't have wool next to my skin too long or I just plain lose it!)

Some of the acrylic yarn in my stash is heinous (acquired via ebay), but I use that to make tiny blankets for a local cat shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    funny - i wasn't willing to pay $15 for a blanket for her but was more than willing to pay $30 for the yarn to make one! was worth it, though. she absolutely loves it.
    I know exactly what you mean! I had a dressy event to go to and didn't want to spend a lot on clothes. So I spent $3.50 on a thrift shop dress, and then spent about $90 making a shawl to go with it. Go figure. It did turn out beautifully, though. (I'll post a pic if anyone wants to see it.)

Quote Originally Posted by sarabell
    I know exactly what you mean! I had a dressy event to go to and didn't want to spend a lot on clothes. So I spent $3.50 on a thrift shop dress, and then spent about $90 making a shawl to go with it. Go figure. It did turn out beautifully, though. (I'll post a pic if anyone wants to see it.)
    yes, please do!

Thank you everyone for the info.

Personally, I love ALL yarn. Acrylic or not. Believe-you-me, I can be a real yarn snob at times, especially if I want a nice cozy mohair or wool sweater etc.

But acrylic has it's purpose. I'm even planning on making my husband a sweater out of acrylic yarn--already have the yarn for it too.

I mostly make baby blankets from acrylic because it's so durable and easily washable--BELIEVE me I know how important that is . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads