Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I didn't know that they sell shrinky stuff that you have to sand up yourself. If you're gonna sand it anyway, you might as well get the plastic for free: Plastic food containers or covers from takeout food that are clear and have the recycling symbol with a #6 in the middle. You cut out the flat parts, sand one side and it works the same as shrinky dink paper.

I had a sample of shrink plastic that you could print out on with your inkjet paper, but I used it for my fake ID makin' quests. I think that stuff was way expensive anyway.

2. # ADS

shrinky dinks

has anyone found that the inkjet printer shrinkies do not flatten all the way? also, mine turned a bit yellow where there was no image. did anyone else have that trouble?

I had some trouble with them curling up too. If you bake them longer than the package suggests they seem to flatten up pretty good. If that doesn't work, slap a spatula down on them right out of the oven. There is a ten second window or so when you can change the shape.

A friend of mine was able to order this stuff out of a teacher supply catalog. If you know anyone who is an educator, I think that is probably a cheaper option than Michaels.

It's also online.

http://www.shrinkydinks.com/

Mine always curl up while they are shrinking- but then flatten out perfectly. I figured out that for more consistent and faster shrinking you should preheat the baking sheet with the oven- I just put the shrinky dinks on a piece of cardstock on the pan once everything is preheated.

I preheat the cardboard too.

You can get shrinkydink plastic at any art-supply store. In addition to the frosted kind, it comes in clear (doesn't turn cloudy when shrunk; both sides are smooth), white and black. Black! Awesome! Some of my shrinkydink discoveries:

A white-out pen works well for drawing on black shrinkydink. When it shrinks it will leave little spatters around the lines, but you might like that look. It also gives off extremely noxious fumes when heated - use very good ventilation, and don't try this too often.

Superglue will turn clear shrinkydink plastic cloudy.

Permanent markers (art markers, Sharpies) are the best medium for coloring shrinkydinks. Trying to make a mark on them with colored pencils is not worth it. Draw the lines on one side (front), then color on the other side (back).

I use mostly clear shrinkies and I prefer color pencils to markers. Much deeper color once they are shrunk. I make them in such a way that the colored side is the back and the they look a bit like stained glass.

I don't worry about getting a totally even pencil finish because when they shrink any lighter areas fill in pretty well.

i really like the way colored pencil looks on shrinky dink material too. it looks rich, and you can blend colors really well. my shrinky dink stuff is frosted on one side, but back in the day we used to use really fine garnet sandpaper, and it was not too bad. you have to have frosted or sanded plastic to use colored pencils.

you can also draw on frosted plastic with a regular pencil and it looks very cool, but you have to seal the back after you shrink it or the pencil smears.

Could you just print from your printer onto this paper? I bought some from michael's yesterday...would dry erase markers work better due to the alcohol base ink? I forgot how to do shrinky dinks...it's been that long!

i don't think dry erase markers would be a good idea. they're designed to rub off. permanent markers work fine. i guess you could try putting it through your printer, but it might be too stiff to go through unless you have a really nice printer that can handle label sheets and stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads