knitting upside down?

Over at not martha (http://megan.scatterbrain.org/notmar...11288056721006), Megan's discussing how Marge Simpson knits:
    So, every time I see Marge on The Simpsons knitting she is using two long crochet hooks. She holds the needles like pencils pointed down at her lap and pulls the yarn up to her. I have seen someone knitting (with knitting needles and in real life) like this so the technique is strange but not incorrect. Are Marge's crochet hooks just an animator not quite knowing what they are doing, or is this some rare knitting techinique I am unaware of? Is it a style of crochet?
    and there's a long discussion in the comments. Do any craftistas knit upside down? (I don't.)

2. # ADS

hmm, when i was a kid and pretended to knit I always made like granny from sylvester and tweety, then I was dissapointed to find out the needles didn't have the little rounded ends up!

I've never seen anyone knit with a crochet hook though, although i think we have one of the afghan hooks they were describing, which looks like the knitting needle with a hook at the end.

I never noticed that one detail, you're super observant!
    jt

There was just a post about this on Knitlist http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knitlist this morning:
    In History of HandKnitting by, um, R-something, this hand position [with the points down] is described. It was popular pre-World War II.
    I guess she means A History of Hand Knitting by Richard Rutt (Interweave Press).

Remove Ads

Ads