preseving flowers?

Hey.....

I got many roses for V-day, and I couldn't bear to throw them out...

Some of them were dried so perfectly that I popped the heads off, with about 2 inches of stm hanging on.

Is there anything I can apply to the flower to keep it from crumbling/rotting? Some kind of light glaze or something???

Thanks!

Kate.

2. # ADS

i've seen a lot of different products like what you're looking for in the floral section at craft stores. how they work, i'm not sure since i gave up my dead flowers when i gave up being a little hello kitty goth girl. they're bad feng shui, too!

i would have to say mod podge would be the way to go if you want to get a product that you can use for a lot of different projects.

this lady i knew at my old job was obsessed with painting dried flowers with different kinds of nail polish; frosts, irridescent, glitters... they were kind of neat and pretty strong.

one thing i tried that was pretty cool was dipping them in paraffin wax. definitely not a light glaze but they turned out neat. you can even dip live flowers in paraffin and they will stay looking the same way as when you dipped them. however, the roses my mom did the last time actually just looked like fake flowers.

I've heard that spraying roses with hair spray will keep them from getting too brittle.

Good luck!

Bad feng shui, huh? that's ok with me, I guess, since nothing else in my life is fen shui'd :)

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll do some experimenting over the weekend.

Storing them in kitty litter dries them out very well without losing quality and color. I used to have a roommate who was obsessed with drying flowers, her stuff looked very good. At least that's what I remember.

be very careful when using kitty litter to dry flowers. I'm not sure how loing to keep them in the litter but my best friend destroyed her wedding bouqet in litter...it molded and she had to toss the whole thing out.

As far as the Parrafin wax preserving...i just read an article that says to dip fresh flowers in the wax and to then remove any green stem with a toothpick...let flower dry for 7-10 days with a fan gently blowing on it and then coat it with spray shellac.

be very careful when using kitty litter to dry flowers. I'm not sure how loing to keep them in the litter but my best friend destroyed her wedding bouqet in litter...it molded and she had to toss the whole thing out.

As far as the Parrafin wax preserving...i just read an article that says to dip fresh flowers in the wax and to then remove any green stem with a toothpick...let flower dry for 7-10 days with a fan gently blowing on it and then coat it with spray shellac.

Remove Ads

Ads