Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: wedding gifts

Quote Originally Posted by rachel
    one of the coolest experiences I've had making wedding gifts is combining a traditional element with something new - even if your friend is having a hip wedding, marriage is an institution with such history, it's cool to honor it. so some of the emblems I've used are the shaker tree of life (a simple tree pattern with apples you could download and applique onto a small or large quilt), the chinese double happiness symbol (traditional in red) and if you're feeling ambitious, you could also do a double wedding ring quilted pattern (even if you painted this on).
    Hmmmm. I really like this. So far I'm really into something like a bedspread or a tablecloth, because I like the idea of giving them something they'll use together more often than not. I wonder if I could embroider the double wedding ring pattern onto a tablecloth? (You can tell it's early in the planning stages b/c the thought of something really complicated doesn't intimmidate me yet.) Or do an intarsia version of it, into a knitted blanket? The Chinese double happiness symbol would probably be a lot easier to do with intarsia, and yield more predictable results. Hmmm ... the wheels are turning.

(And Ambelina, I know what you mean about not knowing what to think of people who would be insulted by a gift ... I agree, in that any gift is a gift and is meant to be celebratory and is well-intended, and being insulted by any gift is kind of insulting. I guess I just meant more in the context of this particular friendship, where it's long been understood that a mix tape is a better gift than anything store-bought, no matter how cool the store-bought thing, for years and years and years, you know?)

2. # ADS

I understand your need for a more personal gift now.
    I hope this helps
    I was married for the second time about 18 mos. ago. I had two favorites that I received as gifts. At my shower, my sister gave me a framed poem entitled, My Sister's Wedding Day. (She then made me read it aloud to everyone and I sobbed the whole way through!) Maybe something similiar only along the lines of a frienship thing instead.
    The other was a collage given to me after we returned from our honeymoon. It had my wedding invitation, wedding shower favor, ( a flower seed packet with a cute little poem), tag from our wedding favors, two gold rings and was decorated with accents of fall leaves and pine cones. (our wedding was fall themed).
    Hope this helps!

great ideas! brdgt, i especially love yours. i'm working on an elaborate cross-stitch "Cead Mile Failte" for my front hall (when i have one). at the rate i'm going, i just may have it finished for my first house, ten years from now.

xuli, i know i've complained about the trials of felting, but the book "simply felt" has a great pattern for a table runner. now that i think about it, it would be the perfect gift for my close friend getting married this fall. i could do it in her wedding colors.

felting is a considerably smaller investment of time and money. it's in many ways more difficult than knitting though, but now that my wounds have healed from my felted muffler, i'm a lot more interested in doing it again.

I got two handmade quilts for my wedding, and I appreciated them immensely. One was from an old friend I hadn't really seen since college - his relatives have a Native American quilt business, and they collaborated with him on a quilt just for me.

The other was from my grandmother, made by her mother, who died when I was about 7. She'd started on it when I was born and left it with the instructions that it be given to me when I got married. I'd had no idea this quilt even existed - I think it's the most special, personal gift I've ever gotten. I'm the oldest, and the only great-grandchild who got one of these.

For my sister's wedding, I made little bride and groom "portrait" rag dolls of her and her husband. I've made dolls of people as gifts for other occasions too. They turned out great - but I neglected the fact that both of them are professional artists and so are all their friends, so most of their gifts were Original Fine Art and my dolls kind of paled in comparison.

I still like the idea of the dolls, though, and may do it again for a friend who's getting married later this year. A little "house" display case for them, with handcrafted decorations and furniture, would be neat too. I wish I'd thought of that earlier.

Xuli,

I was reading quickly but I'm not sure if you've mentioned the crafts you most like, or are most confident doing. I'd probably start by thinking about what you think you could make well, or be most proud to give.

It's store bought, but one of the most lovely gifts my husband and I received when we married (1 year ago in April, yay!) was a large, wood-bound, antiquey-looking photo album. My husband and I then collected a whole lot of family photographs and we're going to create a 'family tree' album - a bit like a scrap book. I don't think I'm describing it the best, but it's very personal to us and we'll keep it forever. Maybe you could adapt & develop this idea into something.

Do you have any ways you could contribute to the wedding? This is a more personal gift than money but will be a real help to your friend and her husband if they are responsible for paying for the wedding. Our relatives gave us lovely gifts, but my best memories come from the fact that my mum did the flowers (she is a wedding florist), and AJ's mum created the wedding cake using a family recipe. We made the invitations and order of service too. It's lovely looking back at photos of the wedding and remembering the effort we put in to create it.

P.S I'm sure whatever you come up with will be awesome.

Wow -- thanks everyone. Great ideas!

MRSM103 -- The poem sounds really cool; actually, the friend of mine who is getting married did something very similar for her dad's marriage to her stepmom, and it hangs on their wall still (10+ years later) and is really, really beautiful.

Athos & Brdgt -- What's Cead Mile Failte? (I have no Irish heritage, but both my friend and her future husband do, and are into the Irish heritage stuff, so I've thought about something related to that since Irish crafts generally are so beautiful ... the only problem is that because I don't have that heritage myself, I know very little about it, other than liking St. Patty's Day for green beer and going "oooh, that Celtic thing is purty". Though I was thinking of going through the Book of Kells for ideas.)

Katrin -- The doll idea is super cool! I've been thinking for a long time about modifying the "Knit Your Own Rock Star" pattern in SNBN for various things, that might be a start.

Pudding -- Ha! I guess it would have been an obvious place to start by saying what crafts I feel I'm good at, huh? I'm best at knitting/crocheting, but I can sew a straight seam and feel comfortable with embroidery or cross stitch (haven't done in in years and years, but I did it a lot as a young child and I figure if I could pick it up quickly when I was 8 I could probably do it well now). I'm also good at collage-y stuff, I make kick-ass mix tapes/CDs, etc.

Well, I'm tardy to this conversation, but it made me think about what I did for my best friend's wedding. And it was impressive enough for the pastor to read from it at the rehersal dinner.

At the bridal shower, I had all the guests write down their advice on little 3x5 cards that I printed off the computer that read this (with little red hearts rubber stamped around them, they looked cute): My Wish For the Newlyweds is This: blah blah blah.....
    The guests job was to write down their their best wish for the couple and sign their names. I must mention that the bride to be was in another room being "distracted" at this time. While this was being done, I took instant poloroid shots of the guests. All this was put into a scrap book and given to the bride and groom at their dinner. You wouldn't believe the tears that followed. To get a book of best wishes (and ADVICE), from the bride's best friends and family along with photos, the reaction was more than I expected... Especially the words from older relatives (these can be mailed in advance to those who cannot attend).

It was a weeper.

For my sisters wedding 5 years ago, my husband and I couldn't afford much. So... I made the table center pieces for her reception and my husband (a photo student at the time) volunteered to be the wedding photographer. Ask your friend if there is anything she needs for the day. Maybe you could make the favors she passes out or make a guestbook for all the guests to pass around during the reception and right messages to the happy couple in. You could even take poloroids of the people writting the messages to stick in next to their message. But, your a creative girl I'm sure you'll come up with something wonderful! Hope I was a help getting your mind going.

Great ideas, Jackierocket and Girlsavage! (And thanks for the bump!)

Cead Mile Failte means a hundred thousand welcomes!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads