Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    for a friend's wedding two years ago, I made them simple placemats & napkins out of a nice elegant fabric. Then I took some copper wire (bought at the craft store, a decent guage) and wound it randomly around a big bead to start one end of a napkin ring, made a big loop and came up and wound it around another bead to finish. Then I rolled napkins I made into them and gave the whole set to her as a gift.

this year I'm doing something similar but post-wedding for another friend. I had pinked-edge fabric strips as table runners that I used for the bridal shower decor. I'm transforming them into napkins and edging for placemats (and doing the same bead/copper wire napkin ring). that way the table coverings we used at her shower come with her to her marriage.

AnnS

2. # ADS

handmade photo albums, scrapbooks or wedding guest books make a perfect wedding gift... if you've never made a book before i make really affordable ones and do custom orders. jess

I've loved reading these posts, because I love remembering my wedding!

And, the best and most sentimental gift we were given came from a dear friend who made us a small, quilted wallhanging. What made it so special is that she went from table to table at the reception and made sure that every person there signed the back with a message to my husband and I. I take it down almost every year and read the messages on the back--- from people like my grandmother who passed away a year later, and my one nephew who was six at the time and is now getting ready to graduate from high school.

Everyone that's ever seen it has commented on how special it is...

How about money roses? I will have to go look for the directions, but you fold dollar bills and wire them together in a way that makes roses. A half dozen would be a $30 gift because you use 5 of them. I made them once, and it was a little "fiddly" to start, but easy once you got the hang of it.

http://www.geocities.com/kraftprojec...oney-rose.html

I made some changes when I made them, but they are pretty easy to do and everyone is very impressed with them!

I got married four months ago, and my aunt knitted an afghan for us that I absolutely love. There is a kit to get the yarn (not so cheap, unfortunately) at http://www.yarnbarn-ks.com/ Click on the knitting & crochet section, then the Collinette section. Lots of fun colors!

Lilshaf -- I've seen those Colinette kits in progress and I agree they're absolutely gorgeous!! Also, given the prices of Colinette yarn they're not all that unreasonable.

We got a throw from my husband's grandma. She used to make dolls and blankets and would sell them.

It's white and doesn't have a great pattern to it, but since she MADE it for us, it's special.

Money is a great gift, but it's not one you remember unfortunately.

My favorite things from my wedding are the handmade things - a couple were gifts and the rest I've done myself.

One thing I'm working on now is collecting small things from the wedding like the invitation, a favor, and putting them together in a shadowbox to hang on our bedroom wall.

Make her a little scrapbook of you two, or a collage or something like that even.

An embroidered tablecloth and napkins, or even sheets are great too. They're something they can use everyday and it still comes from your heart and something you put a lot of thought and work into.

What wonderful ideas for gifts. I am engaged, and the idea of anyone making something, putting so much thought into it is wonderful. Seeing as you say you crochet, I have a pattern for an irish sow thistle square. Each takes about 14-20 minutes to do, and the best thing is that you join the squares as you crochet them, so no big sewing project at the end! If you like I could dig out the pattern. Good luck in whatever you choose!

wedding gift

For my moms 70th Birthday I made her a photo quilt. I secretly asked her brothers and sisters for pictures of her and her family growing up and added pictures of myself and siblings and grandkids etc. It was a huge hit.

For your friends wedding you could make a photo quilt with pictures of the two of you. Ask the grooms family for pictures of him growing up also. (If you explain why you need the photos people are usually happy to help.)

The quilt is easy to make. The photo fabric is available at most craft stores. You just copy the photos onto the fabric with a color printer. It really doesn't take that long to put the quilt together because the blocks are 8 1/2" X 11".

These quilts are better if they are just tied. So you don't have to worry about competing with grandmas "real quilt"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads