+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do with old record albums?

I've seen purses made out of them and notebooks, but I don't care for purses and don't own a binding machine to make notebooks. Any other ideas?
    My aunt gave me a giant bin full of old albums that I don't really want, but some of them have interesting covers. I figured I could make bowls out of some of the records, but I don't know if I feel like making 100 bowls!

2. # ADS

Not that you want to make a hundred of them, but clocks?

Ooh, that might be a good chance to try out making record coasters!
    I'm trying desperately to think of the url I saw them at, but I don't remember.
    Anyways, it's the kind where you cut out the middle with the label, schlack them or something, and make some nifty coasters.

Found some links! I couldn't find any instructions, but I found places selling them.
    http://www.iofferstores.com/bi/moonm....1-0.2-2233727
    This is a good one because they show how they do the back, too.

Uncommon Goods is where I originally saw them.
    http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=12394

If you do a search for "records," they have a snack tray, a clock, and a record bowl, too. Those don't look like they were made from real records, but you could definitely get some ideas from them.

i've seen cute cuff bracelets made out of old records before. if you just cut a strip, with or without the middle label, and sort of melt it into shape, i'd think that's all there is to it?

if the covers are really interesting and you like to look at them a lot, you could put them on your wall, say in a square pattern, 3 across 3 down, or something like that.

and you can make boxes out of them if you don't mind cutting them up a little! I made a few from some kitschy record covers and they turned out looking pretty spiffy. There were some good instructions online (maybe on the old getcrafty?) but I can't find them right now.

as for the records themselves, bowls and clocks are all I've done. you could always use them as a border around the top of your walls. heh, I'm all about the recycled decorating today, sorry.

Okay, I found some instructions for making a cd storage box out of record covers at Digs, but can't find the original instructions I used for the boxes, which I think look much cooler.

However, there are similar instructions (for the box) at ReadyMade (page down until you get to the LP Box section). I used packaging tape instead of doing all that grommeting and I didn't put any felt in the bottom (I use them for storing stationery, there's really no point in doing all that).

eta: on the ReadyMade page, there are also instructions for the bowls and coasters, if anyone's interested.

if you set them on an oven-safe bowl on a cookie sheet in the oven on a real low setting, you can melt them down and bend them into nifty things. the hole in the center lends itself to flower pots, but i've mostly just folded up the edges up a few inches to make trays for tossing your keys/change by the door. i've got two melted-down 45's in my room i use for change/keys/spare buttons. just good "junk collectors" i guess.

Thanks for the ideas. Boxes sound kind of neat, and would be something extra to give if I make some and then ever need them to put someone's gift in.

I found this on craftster.org, and it looks like a pretty cool way of using up the covers.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=12258.0

You'll still have to do something with the records themselves though. Perhaps if you melt them a little and cut out pieces (fig. 1) and then melt them a little more and then bring the sides up and stick them together (fig. 2) you could use it as a vase?

Ok, I quickly drew that on a program I have never used before to try and explain the idea a bit. Hopefully you sort of get the gist. If I had a record spare I'd try it out, but sadly not.

Just in case (I mean, I wouldn't know where to start), Deborah Merlo has a melted bowl project that has the oven temperature and everything

http://www.deborahmerlo.com/diy/archives/000080.html

Hope that's not all too much.

Ads