messenger bag pattern?

Does anyone have a good messenger bag pattern/tutorial? I've been looking at craftster tutorials but none are quite what I'm looking for. I want to make one that looks a lot like the Dickies kind--rectangular shape with foldover flap, a large-ish size, etc. I can think out most of the pattern myself, but I get stuck when planning the tricky lining part.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS

I don't know how confusing the bag your thinking of is; but I could help with the lining issue.

If you are not using a facing, which if you don't know what it is...you probably wouldn't use it...then the lining is really easy.

Basically you cut out of your lining material the exact same pieces and sew it up as you would the bag. Then put right sides together and sew, making sure to leave an opening so you can turn it right side out.

You should probably then iron all of the edges to make sure that the lining doesn't poke out and sew or tack it if you wish.

Remember that if you are including handles, those need to be attached to the actual bag before you sew in the lining, so when you flip it rightside out...they are not inside.

I hope this helps a little, you could always buy a cheap pattern even if it is not exactly the bag you want...if for no other reason then to see how the lining thing works.

Thanks, that seems to make sense. I made a bag awhile ago that had some complicated lining system that I failed twice before finally completing. I think it psyched me out a bit.

Remove Ads

Ads