How do I make fabric stiff or stop fraying?

Hi,

What can I use to add stiffness to fabric and help stop the fraying around unfinished edges. I have used Fray Check and fusible interfacing, but I know alot of people are now doing unfinished edge stuff and I thought there might be a better way. Specifically, I'm talking about appliques and embellishments, not just seams.

Oh yeah, these are for a retail venture so they must stand up to reasonable washing (hand is OK).

Thanks for your help.

Robin

2. # ADS

For sturdier fabric, I've simply cut it with pinking shears and washed it before applying/sewing it. It gives it a nice frayed edge. I guess you could run a zigzag stitch around the edge, also. I'll also be interested in other suggestions! Fray check works well, but it's so smelly!

iron a lightweight interfacing on to the back. it stabilizes the edges and adds stiffness. if you want a stiffer finish, just use heavier weights of interfacing.

i've had pretty good luck with a product called "stiffen stuff" in the past. i wasn't using it for something washable, though, so i don't no if it'll work for you, but i'm pretty sure they still make it.

I've recently had problems with fraying. Fray check, pinking sheers and French seems are the methods I've used so far but a serger may be one of your best bets for manufactured goods. I don't have the money for one but the money spent on it be used for a write off as a buisiness expense.

I should really get a pair of pinking shears (I can't believe I don't have a pair), and I want to start saving up for a serger really soon, but right now, this is what I do for appliques: I sew the applique on with a regular straight stitch. Then I go back over the top of that with one or two zig-zags. Sometimes I'll go over the zig-zag with a different stitch (it kind of looks like a bunch of chicken footsteps all stuck together in a line? ...I don't know if it has a name).

Yeah, I really want a serger. It would save so much time.

Hello everyone
    I am to this forum, I am an absolute nut when it comes to Hobbies I can''t get enough, I go through phases of every different kind of craft going I love to read all the helpfull comments and advice, at the moment I am in my Machne Applique mood and I was having the problem with fraying edges, and what I do is make a Solvy soup with scraps of Solvy and water and brush it on the fabric to be appliqued, and when dry it becomes stiff and does not fray, and washes out!! it may not be suitable for all fabrics, but so far it works well for me.

Remove Ads

Ads