Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone recommend a good sewing machine?

Hey,

I'm totally new to sewing and I've been talking about getting my own machine for a long time. I intend to explore the layaway option and, if all goes well, buy one this weekend. Thing is...I've done a lot of research but want to be sure I'm choosing the right machine. I think I've decided on the Singer Deluxe Free-Arm sewing machine 5040. Can anyone share her experiences buying/using this machine. Or, if not, recommend one. I want something very easy to learn on but also something to grow on. I'd like it to last me a couple of years...or forever, if possible! :) Embroidery would be a nice feature...someone said to get a button-holer...and that it can be a real pain if you have to re-thread the needle a lot. I want to be able to have a machine that is easy to find parts and supplies for. I'd like to use it to make clothes, handbags, duvet covers, curtains...the usual. And I want it to work with soft materials as well as really coarse (i.e. denim). Am I asking too much? Does this dream machine exist? I expect to demo before I buy but any advice would be so helpful as I obviously don't know thing one about purchasing a sewing machine!
    THANKS!

2. # ADS

Hi Karla,

Excuse me if i'm out of line jumping in, since this is my first post.

I had a Singer 5040 for about 2yrs, with maybe once or twice a month use until about 2 months ago the every other day use and it's motor gave out Sunday. Right after I started working on a quilt for my mom who is coming this weekend.

I bought a new Janome 659? Monday. It seems to have a much stronger motor. BUt i haven't had it long enough to give a good description.

hope this helps

Karla,
    How much are you looking to spend? I hear that the newer singers aren't that great, however the older singers can last forever. My mom has had the same machine for at least 30-35 years and it's still going strong, in fact I went to a used sewing machine/vac shop and the keeper of the shop told me that it was $500! that's the same price my mom paid for it in the 60s! Apparently it has the strongest motor in a non industrial machine, but he had machines for as low as 100 dollars that he had refurbished that had METAL parts. I think you should check out your local sew/vac shop before you go in whole hog on a brand new singer.

That being said I have the Kenmore Mini Ultra, it only has 17 stitches but can do buttonholes, no embroidery, but it was 80 dollars on sale and it's 3/4 the size of a regular machine and it's light blue and has stood up to my making curtains so far. I really love it but I don't sew a whole lot right now.

jt

I love my Pfaff machines. They have some more beginner-ish models like the Hobby line, as well as professional machines. You need to decide if you want to buy a cheap $100 to learn on and then upgrade later, or if you are willing to invest now.

I have a Janome as well, though I can't for the life of me remember which model it is. I got it about 2 years ago as a gift from the hub. He got it from an independent little sewing/alterations place because he really liked the time they took to help him figure out the right one to get for me. It has a travel case as well. I use it at least once a week or so, and it's stood up to all of the abuse I've put it through.

I've never had a machine to compare it to and I am far, far from knowing much about other machines, but I'm definitely satisfied with mine.

I have the Kenmore Elite ( http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=02019365000 ) . I bought at Sears (where else?). My first machine was a Singer, but it only had basic stitches and wasn't very good at going through more than two layers of canvas.

I really like the Elite. It is strong and it has decorative embroidery functions. The monogrammed letters/numbers are pretty small, so someday I would like a machine that does more elaborate and bigger letters, but for what I do now (mostly handbags, other accessories and home decor), it works perfectly!

I'm a Pfaff girl myself. My husband just bought me a Hobby 1042 for Christmas. However, we live overseas right now and I haven't been able to use it because I'm really paranoid that the transformers will mess it up. SOmething about the number of rotations and stuff...I don't think I really get it.

But I have been using my cousin's Pfaff Quilting Experience. That one is FUN. I don't quilt though, and even though I'd love to have alll of the fun stitches, my Hobby is just right for me.

So, I reccommend Pfaff.
    And I also had a Singer that was from the fifties and I used it all through highschool, even though I could use only one stitch. The attachments were really a hassle.

Thanks ladies! You've given me a lot to think about! My friend, Brittany, always said "Learning how to use the machine you've got is more important than what kind it is". Sounds like she may have been right. I'm going to try some used machines first. Maybe the pawn shop...

Thanks!
    Karla

Just so you know, sewing machines need tune-ups just like cars do! You may want to find a local shop in your area that can do this for you if you don't know how to do it.

just wanted to say that I am also a Pfaff woman. I've had a tipmatic 6122 for about 5 years and I LOVE it! It was a gift from my mom(another Pfaff woman). Never a problem - well, not one that was the machines fault anyway! :)

I would urge you to buy the best machine you can afford - and that means checking out the "experienced" machines too! Some better fabric stores in your area might have some used machines - if not, try finding a dealer. Just figure out what you want & what you don't(I knew I didn't need a computerized machine - that just wasn't me) and go from there!
    Good luck & have fun!
    :miss m

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads