Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is needlepoint passe?

I like needlcrafts - crochet, knitting, cross-stitch and have done them for a while.

I'd like to make some stitched things for the house and for our baby-to-be, and I figured that doing needlepoint would be quicker than cross-stitch, since you only go across once and don't have to make an x.

But when I've searched the library, Barnes & noble, and ebay, there's tons of cross-stitch books and kits and hardly any decent needlpoint ones. The books are from the 70s and have crazy stuff in them.

Does htis mean needlepoint is passe?? Has anyone encountered decent, more modern needlepoint books, kits and patterns?

Maybe this is a niche for someone here looking to update this craft, sort of like how some of the other crafts have seen a comeback lately.

2. # ADS

Needlepoint passe? Never thought about it. Yeah, could be. In that it is an ornamental form of stitchery that Gen-Xers and younger haven't explored.

Needlepoint easier than cross-stitch? It's like comparing knitting and crochet. The old which is better/harder/nicer/more politically correct or whatever. The comparison seems unjust. All of these forms have great diversity and can be done by people of little talent or by those of consummate skill and artistry.

In very general terms, I'd put cross stitch as easier and quicker than needlepoint. But that's because I'm more likely to invest my time in intricate needlepoint. And if I wanted to crash out something I'd use cross stitch, or more likely crewel. DMC's Linea type stuff.

For newer cooler designs, you will always be limited. It's only new and cool as long as chain stores don't have it in abundance.

Graph out your favorite motif. Enlarge or reduce or enhance for the application.

So you want pirate parrots or somesuch. Get an image you like, amend it for your color and style choices then graph it. Do the same with a couple of complementary motif, say pirate chest and palm trees. Keep the detail simple. You can always add detail when the motif is large enough, but it's hard to put a cross stitched twinkle in a two inch parrot's eye.

Two words: Sublime Stitching.

(Just found the Stitch-it Kit at Costco yesterday! There are two copies left in Sunnyvale, CA...)

I also like the Linea stuff, I used the pearl cotton to embroider my fishy sweater (see blog/pictures) though I didn't get a kit.

I'm really confused now - b/c I thought sublime stitching was embroidery, which I know is related to needlepoint but I didn't think they were the same thing.

It's not the same thing, you're right. But she does have cool transfers and good advice. Technically, Jenny Hart's stuff is referred to as fine embroidery. People don't use that term anymore, but that's what I grew up doing. Like JFK was still alive and banging movie stars in the White House, and little lizzymahoney was doing fine embroidery on her pinafores and doll clothes.

I wouldn't consider cross stitch and needlepoint easily interchangeable either. But cross stitch and fine embroidery? Yeah, there are apt comparisons.

Hmmm, it's kinda like cross stitch is to needlepoint as fine embroidery is to crewel. And Crewel is to needlepoint as fine embroidery is to cross stitch.

If you really want to cover huge areas quickly, try candlewicking methods. Linea is kinda like that, only in color. And without all the French or colonial knots.

ETA:
    still alive and banging movie stars
    WTF? Poor word choice. My only excuse is that it was subliminal. Andrea Dworkin died yesterday.

there was a cute needlepoint kit of trout at my local art store for 1.99. And one of my best friends needlepoints GORGEOUS watteau-like scenes-- she says the French make lovely needlepoint canvases. And she is under 30.

i love the look of needlepoint, and i say we should bring it back if it has become passe! i'd bet there are computer programs that can turn an image into a transfer for a canvas...

I don't think needlepoint is less work than cross stitch because you still have to do 2 stitches to cover one block... hmm..., but maybe it is more mindless (less thinking about starting and stopping rows ... pick the technique that gives the look you want; don't base it on the amount of work because I'm sure the difference is very minor.

Also I do not think it is passe. I did needlepoint when I was learning to embroider (I was born in the late late seventies), My grandma has a stool that is apholestered with a needlepoint image that is georgeous. I don't think a technique can be passe, but it can be lost, and needlepoint isn't yet (as so many here know how do to it!).

to lizzymahoney - what exactly is crewel, and candlewicking methods? I'm intrigued! Feel free to pm or post elsewhere as this is kind of a hijack ...

del

i hope not!

I've always found patterns either a bit dated, VERY expensive, or both, but I've really enjoyed needlepointing from photos with my own patterns. Apologies for the awkward link, but I just put an example in my getcrafty album...the project was relatively easy and a lot of fun!

Needlepoint isn't specifically passe. It just never got trendy like a bunch of the other needle crafts which is why there aren't a bunch of books. Hmmm, now that I wrote that. Maybe the answer is yes it is passe. But you know the thing that brings these crafts into popularity is people just doing them alot, so maybe you should just create your own patterns and not let the scare '70's patterns or lack of books hold you back if you really want to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads