How do I build a hat?

I want to build a hat that looks similar to a Fred Flintstone pooba hat. I have 2 yards of buckrum and 2 yards of fuzzy felt but I have no idea how to constuct the piece. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thank you for your help.

2. # ADS

Isn't that like the Beefeaters/Royal Guard at Buckingham Palace? I would start with a wire frame and find one of those hard-hat fitters for the interior. Shaping it might take a little work -- I would try to make a little model from stiff felt first, just to make sure the shape is correct. And I might google on this too: a costume designer might have some good advice.... (better

Big hat

I actually want something that I don't have to strap on and it needs to be comfortable. The hat is based on a one that herrum gaurds wore during the Ottomon empire. I'm not sure how tall to make it. I have gooled my brains out looking for a pattern. I'm ordering a book that talks about hat making.

Buckrum is very stiff so my problem is more about how to put the pieces together. I think I'll use paper bags to design the hat . I just hope my pattern will make sure it isn't so small that I can't wear it or that it is so big that it falls over my eyes and ears. I think I have to have three layers, the outside felt, the buckrum, and the lining. because the buckrum is so stiff I can't turn it inside out to keep the stitching hidden. It will be a challange to say the least but considering the shapes of other hats it probably seems tougher than it actually is.

Thank you for the input.

you may want to look for millinery instruction books at the library or online... a good one is Denise Dreher's "From the Neck Up". she has instruction for making hats that have buckram foundations. if your buckram is sized, it's pretty easy to create a rounded form. good luck!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That was what I was hoping someone could tell me about. I knew there had to be some sort of resourse. I'll look into it as soon as I can.

Remove Ads

Ads