Soap for Sensitive Skin

I'd like to try homemade soap. What do you recommend for sensitive skin?

2. # ADS

Hey, I have the same problem.
    If you are interested in growing soapwort it maybe one of the least problematic soaps. Soap wort is uses in museums to clean delicate textiles. It is a perenial but has been considered invasive in some states.
    Buck eyes and pokeweed roots are also a common plant soap. Chop up these plant parts, put them in water and shake. You will get a liquid soap. Filter the plant debri out and use. I've read that you will need to refrigerate and it will be good for a week. If you want to save the plants they will keep dried and you can use as needed. You could add oils / herbal flowers to these mixes.
    I haven't yet tried my hand at lie soaps. I'm a little nervous because one of my friends has gotten a chemical burn in an accident while making the soap.
    http://www.pioneerthinking.com/hair.html
    This is a sight I just visited yesterday to find a type of shampoo that won't make me itch.

I used to make lye soaps, and its true that fresh soap is dangerous. It must be cured before its safe to use. But if you wear gloves and an apron and goggles and just be careful, its ok. (That probably doesn't make it sound appealing).

For a sensitive skin I would be careful about adding fragrances or essential oils until you've done some research. Some of them can cause nasty reactions to sensitive skin. For our wedding I made soaps as favours, and the one I made for sensitive skins was made of olive oil, avocado oil and wheatgerm flakes, plus a little coconut oil to keep the bar hard.

If you might be interested in trying lye soap, take a look at this site
    http://www.soapnaturally.org/index.html

it looks a little heavy, but their mailing list is full of friendly people who'll be able to answer any queries you have. Also there's a site that has a calculator to make sure that you use the correct amount of lye for the amount of oils you want to use:
    http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php

I think that many people are wary of lye soap, which is perfectly understandable as lye is a toxic chemical on its own, but my skin never felt better than when I was using my own soap.

Hmm. I wish my stuff wasn't in storage overseas, otherwise I'd be at the soap pot this afternoon.

I'm sorry about the weird bold thing happening above. I tried to fix it and failed.

Sorry, me again. Was just reading the domesic bliss forum about recycling and remembered one of the other soaps I made for our wedding.

I made filter coffee with the water, and added the grounds to the soap as well. It was intended as a kitchen soap, because the coffee grounds remove onion and garlic smells from your hands. However, my friend who frequently suffers from weird smell allergies found that if she was having an allergic day, she could wash her hands with this soap, and no sneezing. I don't know if the scratchiness of the grounds would be good for sensitive skin, but if your sensitivity comes from fragrances, this might be worth a try.

Just want to encourage anyone who wants to try soapmaking -- if you are careful, there's nothing to worry about.

Oh I agree! It's highly addictive as well.

Yardenxanthe - your cinnabun soaps look fantastic! I wish I had all my stuff with me, I really miss my soap...

If you have really sensitive skin, you might be better off washing with oil rather than soap.

I've never made soap, but I bought some homemade Castile soap one time and it made my skin feel wonderful. I suffer from rosacea and it was gentle on my face. THe main ingredient, I believe, is olive oil. There are scads of recipes for making it. Someone here probably has a recipe to share!

Remove Ads

Ads