Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where do you buy your fabric?

So what are some of your favorite places to find fabric? I get so frustrated because the only stores that I have access to locally is Hancock and JoAnn's, and basically their stuff just bores me. I've always wanted to order some online (like from Repro Depot), but I like to feel fabric usually before I buy it. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS

I get my fabric from so many sources...I am always trying to find new ways to get some good fabric.

I never buy it online, I absolutely have to see it myself and feel it before I buy it (with the exception of sari fabric that I have won on eBay). Most of my fabric is purchased at Joann or any number of local fabric shops. Also, do you live near a major city that will have discount fabric suppliers? If you live in or near NYC let me know and I can give you some specific places to try.

But I recently discovered a cool way to find funky, unique fabrics (for small to medium sized projects)...

Thrift shops (or even discount clothing/department stores)! I have purchased clothes from local thrift shops that are made with fabric that really appeals to me. I take it home and rip it up and start from scratch! The key is to go to a thrift shop that you know carries cool clothing and linens, or may even be in a more affluent area so there is a higher probability of finding higher quality clothing/linens there. I go to a LaSal Boutique (read: Salvation Army) and Goodwill in a very affluent area near my job and have seen some really good stuff for reconstruction.

Hope this helps!

i've purchased a lot of 100% cotton prints from fabric.com along with some buttons and such. shipping is very fast and i've been extremely happy with the $2/yd selections, though someone on another thread has had bad luck with them, so i suppose you should beware. in any case, i've ordered from them 4 times now and have been happy with everything...i get most of my fabric from them or discount fabrics in the haight here in SF. i never have the patience to buy measured yardage from joann's because it's always such a wait, but i do get remnants there now and then...

My family lives in the Minneapolis area, and every time I go to visit them I make a special trip to S.R. Harris Fabric Outlet. Anyone around there who hasn't been to this place yet—it's amazing. Just a huge warehouse full of all kinds of fabric at incredible discounts. And there's a coupon in the local newspaper every week for 50% off. My favorite thing to search for there is retro-style upholstery barkcloth.

I've gotten some good finds at thrift stores too, just remnants of fabric (and yarn!) or old tablecloths and curtains.

Other than that, I usually hit the clearance racks at JoAnn. I haven't been to Denver Fabrics in years (it's kind of a long drive), but I remember it having a very good, if somewhat pricey, selection.

The majority of the fabric I purchase comes from thriftshops but I do occasionally buy some from the fabric store. In the city I currently live in that means either Fanny's Fabrics or Fabricland.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthTones
    If you live in or near NYC let me know and I can give you some specific places to try.
    Hi, Earth Tones, et al. I live in NYC and I would love to know your recommendations for fabric. I'm just learning how to sew, and I know the garment district is the place to go, but there are so many shops, I get overwhelmed. Plus, I never really have anything specific in mind...I love to browse.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by revafisheye
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthTones
    If you live in or near NYC let me know and I can give you some specific places to try.
    Hi, Earth Tones, et al. I live in NYC and I would love to know your recommendations for fabric. I'm just learning how to sew, and I know the garment district is the place to go, but there are so many shops, I get overwhelmed. Plus, I never really have anything specific in mind...I love to browse.

Thanks!
    Hey revafisheye *smile*

A really good start would be to take a walk on West 40th Street between 7th and 9th avenues, well particularly between 7th and 8th. There are loads of fabric suppliers in that block, more than enough in variety too to get you started. The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are...

*Rosen & Chadick (246 W, 40th)...they are my fave in that area, they have a good selection at good prices.
    *Silk Plus International
    *Mountain of Fabrics
    *Zora Fabrics
    *Paron Fabrics
    *B&J Fabrics
    *Hakoba Sarees (#264 and they are on the 15th floor...I love to reconstruct saris and make them into pillows and other home decor)

start at Rosen and Chadick and see if you like them. You can also hop on over to W 39th in the same block. There is a cool fabric shop that I have been to downtown...lemme email my friend and ask her for the name and address and I will post it.

Have Fun!

EarthTones *smile right back atcha*, thanks for the great suggestions. You are a rockstar. Once I'm back in the (cash) flow, I will start at the top of the list.

It's funny, my old improv troupe rehearsed in the garment district and I passed these stores all the time, but I was always afraid to go in. Never more will I fear the Craft!

Thanks again...I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm much too fond of shopping for (which doesn't always translate into buying) fabric online. My faves include:

Reprodepot Fabrics http://www.reprodepotfabrics.com/

Contemporary Cloth http://www.contemporarycloth.com/

Equilter http://www.equilter.com/

Marimekko from Textile Arts http://store.txtlart.com/index.html

All of these websites present their information in a clear fashion and I have found them to be very helpful in answering questions. Textile Arts allows you to request samples, ReproDepot has held my hand through purchases.

Now I just have to finish some of my projects instead of noodling around.

Haven't ordered from, but love to browse:

Melinamade http://www.melinamade.com/

Mathias, depending upon where you are in Virginia, it might be worth your while to go to G Street Fabrics. http://www.gstreetfabrics.com/

My obession with fabric is ridiculous. I just moved and the amounts that I have accumulated in fabrics is a little scary.

Every summer my friend and I drive from RI to ME. I have this book, The Quilter's Companion. We go to as many quilting fabric stores as possible. The book is a great resource, if you are looking for quilting fabrics (cotton/cotton blends with prints).

When I go online to order fabric I go to equilter.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads