know how to make sandals?

i need new sandals.
    i have high standards and a very low budget. every inexpensive pair i find has some sort of fatal flaw and i refuse to buy them. sucks to be a shoe snob when you're poor! so why not make them myself and shut my picky ass up? of course, i haven't a clue what to do. any ideas? recycled materials, leather from old purses, anything.....???

2. # ADS

knit sandals

if you have the sole/base for your sandal, you can make flip flops by knitting the "thong" part. knit (or you could sew a material strap) a 1-inch wide, 8-inch long (or depending on your foot size you made need to adjust) , using a thinner yarn for the last inch on each side (this part will be hidden). i suggest using thick textured yarns, mixing yarns, anything to make the strap thick and bold. then using the existing holes from a pair of flops, or cut slits in the base you are using, feed the last inch of the strap into the slot but not through to the bottom. pull it in between the rubber layers and adhere with the strongest glue you can find! (most flops are two layers of rubber, you can use a knife to find the split along the side, and you can seal it up later.) i have also used straight pins with the little balls on top with platform rubber flops to hold down the straps for extra durability. now repeat adhering the strap to the other side of the flop and again for the second sandal. stand on them to make sure they are comfortable. sometimes you can feel the strap in between, like a lump, and you may need to adjust. next, knit a thinner strap to be used as the toe separator, and using the same technique, adhere it to the flops. set something extremely heavy on overnight, to allow drying and to keep the rubber layers together. if you already have flip flops that you want to renovate, it is easy to knit a "slipcover" for the existing strap, and they last longer b/c you aren't spliting the rubber. i wish i still had a digital camera (i dropped mine in the ocean and it doesn't work anymore!!!) so i could show you the ones i have made! they are quick and you can make them to match any outfit!

Do you like DrScholls sandals? Maybe you can find a pair at the thrift store and paint the wooden soles. A new pair will be about $35, but the "Cheeky Pink" strap might make them worth the big $$$. Check out the painted shoes below for inspiration.

http://www.pamcasso.com/DrScholls_ha...d_sandals.html

Here's a link for making sandals from old tires. they might not be the most stylish things around, but it might give you some ideas...

http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyknitz
    Here's a link for making sandals from old tires. they might not be the most stylish things around, but it might give you some ideas...

http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm
    excellent! not sure if i'll use tires but was wanting to go with that type of idea. now i just have to scrounge up something. maybe tires. definitely some of those around here. hmmmm. perfect launchpad. thanks!

If you did some fancy needlework or beading on these they might sell big in your area!! Maybe ultra-suade with a sewn on vinyl sole? Or if it isn't too pricy and you aren't skeeved out by it, actual leather?

They sell at the craft store (at least Michaels does, don't know what craft store is near you) plain rubber flip flops is just about every color-- you could by black, blue or brown ones and then glue teeny little seashells on the strap. You could also buy some silk flowers, like maybe even just one for each shoe and get the ones that are like, more rubbery and that look pretty real like in a pretty orchid or something and just glue one of those on each strap. I mean, once you have somewhere to start, decorating them is the simple part. Sequins are really trendy right now, especially in gold and silver, so you could glue those onto the strap, or i guess even on the side of the sandal, like on the wedgey part if you wanted. Another idea would be to glue some small beads onto the strap- for example, taking turquoise beads and glueing them onto a brown sandal would look pretty- especially if the beads were shaped like little stones and maybe mix in some other beads that look nice with them. Hope I gave you at least some inspiration! Good luck!
    -Cari
    obsessive_compulsive_shopper@hotmail.com

CraftyChicaAZ has instructions on both shell-adorned flipflops and Dr Scholls painted sandals on her site. She's on here, so do a search for her and then visit the site. Too lazy to find the link, or more truthfully, I'm late for work...

Love the rubber tire sandal directions. Wonderful link for me to explore later.

Cheap sandals

Buy some $1-2 flip flops at WalMart. Cut some 5-6 inch strips of fabric with pinking shears and tie them in knots along the straps. Really cute! Make them to match whatever you're wearing, trim if my measurements are too long.

Remove Ads

Ads