Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Want to finish my projects - please hold me accountable

Okay, I am determined to do something about my collection of unfinished projects. I decided to start with the bibs I'm making for my friend's baby - who was born last November. Previously, I'd gotten as far as buying my materials, making my pattern, and even cutting the bibs out. But, that's where I stopped. I want to get these things done and out of my life!

The problem is that, left to my on devices, I have a tendency to do things only "when I feel like it", which means that not much gets done. This is where I need your help. My idea is to post my progress here - with pictures. If I don't post something about these bibs every day, I want somebody to nag me. Or, at least keep asking, "Hey, how 'bout those bibs?" until I get them done. I've already narrowed my project down from a set of 6 to a set of 3. I want to get them done within the next two weeks (publicly stating a goal and deadline helps to put the pressure on). So, can y'all help me out? Maybe I could return the favor with some of your unfinished projects?

So, anyway, this was my inspiration for the bibs, from the November 2003 issue of Lucky:

I made some coasters of a similar shape a couple of Christmases ago (some of you may remember those), so I figured these would be fairly easy. The twist is that instead of painted polka dots, I plan to embroider French knots randomly along the bottom half of each bib.

I drew my pattern onto graph paper and cut the bibs from cotton China twill. Today, I folded my bias tape in half and ironed it so that it would be easier to shape to the curves on the bib.

Then, I basted the bias to the bibs.

That's all I've done so far. The next step is to sew the bias down. I'm saving that for tomorrow. Please bug me about it if I don't poste what I've done by 10 pm (Central Standard Time) tomorrow.

Thanks!

2. # ADS

those are great! think of all the cool things you can do with them...and the trims you could use!! looking forward to your next post - and you WILL post, right?

Hey Dawn, how are the bibs coming? I love the shape, that is totally cute :)

So, I got home late tonight - tired, hungry, and full of reasons why it would be ok to work on the bibs tomorrow. Then, I remembered this thread and decided that I would sew the bias on one bib. I chose the one for which I already had some matching thread in a bobbin - red. I sewed the bias tape down and removed the basting thread. I did a pretty decent job, too.

Here's a bonus picture of my late grandmother's sewing machine, which is still rockin' after all these years. Seriously, this machine is older than I am.

Next step: sew the other two bibs, then repeat the process with the neckline/tie. Then, on to unchartered territory - needlework.

This thread is really helping me (thanks for the nudges). If anyone else wants to use it for the same purpose, feel free.

:o)

Dawn, what kind of machine is that? Is it a Necchi? It looks a lot like the one my mom used to have. I think she got it as a high-school graduation present in 1958, made lots of our childhood clothes on it, and only traded it in for a newer, more portable model within the last few years. Matter of fact, I learned to sew on that machine.

..not sure which I love more, the bibs or that sewing machine. I would also like to tell you that I love your method of motivation, the only way I can get anything done is if I stay off the computer, and since I have no will power, I can't see me sticking to that anytime soon. Looking forward to seeing pictures of FINISHED bibs.

The red bib looks great :) I'm impressed with your sewing, if I did that the bias tape would be all wonky! haha Very cute.

Nice sewing machine! I have one that pops out of a table as well, but it doesn't work. Probably just needs some minor repair....I'm inspired to see if I can get it working now.

I got home late again tonight, but still managed to sew the blue and yellow bibs:

I'll get home at a reasonable time tomorrow, so maybe I can make a little more progress then. I have to say that I'm proud of what I've done so far, though. The things have been just sitting there for months, and now I can actually see the finish line. Although, since I know absolutely nothing about babies or bibs, I have no idea if the size is correct or if the neckholes are small enough or if the fabric I chose is even practical. I've been worrying that my finished product won't even be functional. Then again, I figure baby Nash can at least sit around and look cute in his handmade bibs.

The sewing machine is a White model # 8931 - "Zig Zag Sewing Machine". I still have the owner's manual and the metal box with all the attachments and bobbins in it. My grandmother was a stickler for taking care of one's things - lucky me!

A bientôt!

cute!

These are "a-door-bell" (adorable) as my cousin would say! I convinced my mother that we will be attempting to make them for another cousin's baby girl, due in September. (Thank goodness! That gives us a while.)
    P.S. They are naming her Claire Elizabeth. *psst* They used my name! (Elizabeth)

I sewed the necklines for all three bibs - go, me!

They look super cute as is (if I do say so myself); I'm almost afraid to try the French knot thing, especially since I've never done it before. Maybe I'll practice on scrap fabric tomorrow.

lrschic, if I can make these, you can make them! I am so proud of the fact that I saw something in a magazine and was able to recreate it myself, figuring it all out on my own. Sure, bibs are fairly simple anyway, but still. I say you and your mom go for it! I still have three other bibs cut out, so when I finish these, I may turn around and make some for a co-worker's new baby. We'll see.

ETA: I made each of the ties 12 inches long; I hope that's long enough.

:o)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads