+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What can I do with old board games?

I'm thinking of using the boards as journal covers, maybe jewelry out of game pieces... curious if anyone has experimented with recycling games old or new... the board and the pieces are one thing, is there anything you could do with, say, the Community Chest cards from Monopoly?

All brainstorms welcome... thanks!

2. # ADS

Ooooh -- one of my good friends has an entire wall covered in vintage board game boxes in her den. I totally wouldn't have room to do this in my place, but if you have a game room or "hanging out" room in your place, it's one thought.

As for the chance/community chest cards ... you could maybe laminate them and use them as inserts in purses or wallets. (I'm thinking of what Queen Bee did with her old Loteria line, which unfortunately I can't link to because it's no longer up on the website now that it's been discontinued.)

Actually, lots of crafts have been done with Loteria cards (check out our very own CraftyChicaAZ's website -- she's always doing cool stuff with Loteria cards) -- you could use some of those as inspiration to use your chance/community chest cards.

CraftyChicaAZ -- I know you'll see this eventually and I hope it's OK I mentioned you. I've always loved your work with Loteria cards. PM me if you'd prefer I edit this post or something ...

someone on these boards was making purses like record purses, but out of candyland and other assorted boardgames

jt

I saw in a Mary Engelbreit magazine recently an article about an artist making large shrines (for lack of a better word) using artifacts like those you would get out of a board game.

Search Crafster, I've seen some really cool bags made from Old Maid cards. Maybe you could do the same with the monopoly cards. This is a great question, I have a Clue board that I know could be really cool as something, but what...?

thanks for all the suggestions!

crafster was helpful! My fave so far: a Scrabble board turned into bulletin board with the tiles for thumbtacks:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=5128.0

meli from the old glitter boards (is she still around?) made Something Awesome from mah jong tiles (a journal? a purse? I can't remember).

Wait! It was a photo frame. Yes. Her old site is still up, but the DIY links don't work. Her new site is coming soon: www.melimade.com

Anyhoo, she made a frame from mah jong tiles and I still think about it. Thusly inspired, I once scanned Scrabble tiles and decopaged the letters to a frame for a friend. (I couldn't use my Scrabble tiles for real - I love to play it.)

Quote Originally Posted by revafisheye
    meli from the old glitter boards (is she still around?) made Something Awesome from mah jong tiles (a journal? a purse? I can't remember).

Wait! It was a photo frame. Yes. Her old site is still up, but the DIY links don't work. Her new site is coming soon: www.melimade.com

Anyhoo, she made a frame from mah jong tiles and I still think about it. Thusly inspired, I once scanned Scrabble tiles and decopaged the letters to a frame for a friend. (I couldn't use my Scrabble tiles for real - I love to play it.)
    I was equally in love with her work with board games. I made quite a few things with Scrabble boards and tiles. A tip, revafish, go to the salvation army or other thrift store and pick up a couple of scrabble games. One for you to play, and the rest to make stuff with.

I have been wanting to make picture frames using the Candyland boards, but haven't quite mapped it out. I was thinking maybe one of those frames that hold many pictures?

You can put a board game under glass and put it on a coffee table...

I'd probably super glue the board to a table or nightstand (if you have one that isn't appealing) to give it a new look and glue the pieces to the board. People would try to pick up the pieces but the couldn't ( Like Quarters glued to the ground) hehe...

it would be really easy to make journals out of old board games. i know making journals is a tad boring, but it actually sounds quick, and gratifying to me.

Ads