Professional Stamp - Making

Just wondering if anyone has, or knows anyone who has every had an illustration 'turned into' a rubber stamp...My hubby is a fantastic illustrator, and we've been brainstorming unconventional ways he could move from a brain melting day job that doesn't even make use of his artistic skills, to a fulfilling and fun 'any time' job.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanx!

2. # ADS

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking- if you want advice on making the stamp yourself I do not have that for you.

If you are asking about simply having one of his illustrations turned into a stamp by a professional, I do. I worked in a tiny print shop for a while. We would subcontract for engraving and stamp making. The results were always beautiful, and it is very inexpensive- wholesale. It is best to use an image with completely solid lines, as a stamp can't reproduce shading very well. You are welcome to PM me if you have specific questions.

I once had an illustration turned into a rubber stamp. Just take a black and white printout of the illustration (no greyscale, only solid black lines as insistal also mentioned) to your local rubber stamp making shop and they can produce of a stamp of it within a few days. Easy!

There are a few companies online that you can send black and white artwork to, and they'll send you finished stamps for $15-$20. I don't know who he would contact to become an illustrator for a stamp making company though.

He can also attempt the highly nerve wracking and disapointing "do it yourself route" of hacking up a piece of rubber to make his own stamps. Craft stores sell the rubber in different sized sheets (think notepad sized) and carving tools that are like linoleum block cutters. I picked up a kit to try my hand at it, and with some practice, good light, and a steady hand, you can make your own.

I've got pictures in my blog of a few attempts at it. If I'd put the rubber in the freezer and hadn't tried tackling something like text on my first try, it probably would have gone much better.

if you do a search, there are companies online where you can buy the materials to make your own stamps--it costs about 200 bucks to set up, but you can make over 100 stamps, which is better than shelling out cash to someone else...

Remove Ads

Ads