Thread: Clever Cutting

Clever Cutting

I vaguely remember this trick from grammer school, but can't get the specifics out of my grey matter...

I cut off the bottom of a large tshirt. I have a tube of cloth now. I want to make one really long strip of fabric from it. Guess I can just start cutting from the top and go in circles, but I know there is a simpler way of doing this so it's more even.

I don't suppose anyone knows what I'm talking about and can help me???

Thanks!

2. # ADS

Sounds like something I knew about at one time, but darned if I can dig it out of the grey matter. Now you have me curious. I hope someone comes up with the solution.

Hmm that sounds like a great problem ...

There is a method that comes from the classic magic trick, described here.

You cut like this:

But, that gives you those square corners, and not sure how it would work through two folds of fabric ...

I'm intrigued! What is the project you need this for, if I can ask?

del

Del !
    That's it! I'm just simply re-doing a too big t-shirt into a halter type top, and I started thinking about the cutting process. The pattern you set above was it, I just couldn't remember it and it was driving me nutso. Well, I also wanted to see how (with grommets) I could use the fabric in different ways to attach the halter straps according to my mood. I'll post pictures when I'm done...

PURE GENIUS! i've tried cutting shirts into one long piece by cotting a big spiral. what a mess that was. my mathematically-deficient mind would never have thought of a geometric idea like that.

well. I feel useful. what a nice feeling ... thanks!

BTW if you fold the fabric (or paper) in half, you make the cuts just from each side, and then it's easier to make the long cut throught the middle.

Post pictures of your finished halter! I am totally not getting how you want it to look, but I really want to - so show the photos when you're done!

del

Along the same lines, I was looking into making bias binding, and found the following method of cutting .it does involve a tiny bit of sewing prior to cutting, but you won't end up with the corners: http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/...bias_bind.html

I feel like a total ding dong. I can't even visualize what you are all talking about but I'm sure it's genius.

Please post when you finish your halter and take photos along the way so I can get a clue!

Remove Ads

Ads