Quilt/sewing/craft table

Question for y'all: does anyone know where to get a large quilting/sewing/craft table that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars? A friend of mine is making curtains. She saw a table that had a one-inch square grid printed on it and also diagonal lines (to line up cuts).
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!!!

2. # ADS

That's a good question!
    My folks got me a folding cutting table a few years back from Jo Ann fabrics, I think. I believe it was under $100. But I still need to buy a rotary cutting mat to fit the top of it.
    My dad helped my mom make a huge padded quilting board w/ a full 4x 8 piece of plywood.
    Ummm...that's all I got! LOL!

Re: Quilt/sewing/craft table

I would suggest either getting an inexpensive table at a thrift store or secondhand from a relative that is the size you need, then getting the cutting mat surface to go on top of it. Google "cutting mat table" to find sources for table-sized cutting mats. A huge self-healing surface will probably cost you around $100.00, though.

If you don't need the self-healing surface, but just the grid for lining things up, most fabric stores sell a cardboard fold-away pattern cutting surface that is printed with a 1' grid, as well as important angles and curves, for about $10.00

ETA: that would be a 1" grid!

Quote Originally Posted by Sewlittletime
    My dad helped my mom make a huge padded quilting board w/ a full 4x 8 piece of plywood.
    Ummm...that's all I got! LOL!
    I just made myself a work table out of 4x8 sheet of plywood and it only cost about $45.00cdn. It costs more to get it pre-sanded which you would want plus the hardware store will probably cut it down to size for free.
    This is the cheapest alternative to a table I can think of.

My mom had a custom drapery shop when I was younger. Her table had tall sawhorses for legs and the top was a piece of 3/4 " plywood wrapped with batting and canvas. Along the edges of the top she had metal yardsticks screwed in for measuring. The padded top worked well so that she could pin fabric to the surface for cutting. She also stored bolts of fabric on the rails of the sawhorses.

Quilt/Sewing/Craft table

Wow! Thanks for all the good ideas!! I'm going to send them to my friend and tell her to sign up for Get Crafty, too!! She'd really enjoy this site and forum, etc.

I'm not sure about your space issues, but I saw a wonderful fold away table on craftster.org out of an old door and hinges that the person was using for their sewing table. Then, of course, you would still have to buy the cardboard topping for your quilts, but it would be close to free and very compact.

my grangran (grandma) is a seamstress and she does a lot of curtain type things. if im remembering correctly, she has a separate plastic-type sheet with a grid that is on top of her table. could you paint a grid on? i dont know about these things!
    we made a big table for my art room from 2 big dressers put back to back and then a big peice of plywood on top. its nice cause there are drawers on the sides and a slot in between the dressers for large canvases or rollsof fabric maybe in this case. i dont know how much cheaper this would be if you didnt already have 2 extra dressers of the same highth; there might be some for cheap at the thrift store, though.

sewing table

I bought a $130 table with 4 chairs at IKEA that fits a large cutting matt on it and is sturdy enough to sew on and a variety of other things. It was also cheap enough that I don't mind if it gets gouges on it from the over-roll... originally I used it as a dining table too, but then I got a bigger place and a new table and now I used the chairs on my deck.

table link

Felicity

Remove Ads

Ads