+ Reply to Thread

how to decorate cinder block walls? please help!

I love everything about my new apartment EXCEPT the outer walls that I share with my neighbors are cinder block painted white. Bizarre, yes, I know.

Riddle me this, fair getcrafty people, how the hell am I supposed to hang anything on them? Any crafty ideas on what to do here?

2. # ADS

Give it some bold color and why not play with a murial? I had a 20ft cinder wall in our basement in our fitness room. I painted a simple yin-yang that helped give the room a focal point.
    I posted a picture of the finished yin-yang design, if you want to check it out!
    As far as hanging something on a nail...it can be done with masonry nails and alot of work.
    Anything would improve a white wall of blocks! Let us know how it turns out...

Liqiud nails and sheet metal? major magnetic fun and an everchanging wall. There is also a magnetic paint its food grade iron based!! Yes its magnetic paint!

Colorful fabric panels can be hung from the wall with velcro tape or hung from the ceiling with rods. The fabric can later be recycled into pillows or crafts when you move.

brick walls

it IS possible to hang things directly in the cinderblock - you just have to have the proper drill bit and screws- which come conveniently packaged together in many sizes for around $5 - $10 at any hardware store, Walmart, etc. Just ask a clerk to point you in the right direction. in my apt, every male i know told me it couldn't/shouldn't be done, but i found out for myself and i love the result!
    happy decorating!

If you decide to paint, painting using a matte finish paint (zero gloss) will help hide the variability and imperfections of the wall to make it look more "normal".

We used matte finish paint to paint the old wood pannelling walls at our cottage. It really hid the grooves between the pannels and the grain ... now you have to look very closely to see that it isn't gyp rock. :) It doesn;t wash clean very well ... non-gloss paint is more likely to just wash off - so don't use it if you do a lot of messy activities in that room (no good for a kitchen for example).

del

Thank you everybody for these excellent ideas! I don't feel completely lost anymore....whew. Now I'm gonna get my fat ass over to the local Home Despot Center and get to it :-) Hey, I'm actually getting excited about decorating again thanks to you!

Ads