crafty business online?

Hey everyone....I have been thinking about ways of getting my stuff out there, rather than the traditional put it in shops approach which is just getting downright frustrating and disheartening! You probably all know what I mean... businesses choosing to stock cheap cheap cheap mass produced stuff rather than unique, handmade things......And I think., if youre not crafty but like things that are different, what do you do???

Anyway, I was wondering, what is it like working through the internet? Is it effective if youre not a huge Brandname? Are blogs or online shops better? I would really appreciate any comments/advise/stories, as I am not at all good with technology and feel a bit lost....thanks!

2. # ADS

I wish there was an easy answer to that question -- but if there WAS, I bet there'd be a ton of online businesses. :) (Which would be a good thing.)

A friend of mine was just telling me that she read in a magazine about the rise of DIY businesses online, and how very few of them had a business plan. That's probably a good place to start, even if it's a watered-down version. Know who you're selling TO, and you'll know what the best way to sell it is, kind of by default.

I'm about half-way through a huge project of creating a community based website for DIY business-owners, so this part's kind of up my alley, so to speak. :)

---eliza b

That's great advice from eliza; know your customer!
    I'm also exploring ways to sell crafts online, but someone recently pointed out that part of the appeal of crafts (like mine, woodburning) is the touch. Maybe some crafts just sell better if handled??

Quote Originally Posted by elizabadurina
    I wish there was an easy answer to that question -- but if there WAS, I bet there'd be a ton of online businesses. :) (Which would be a good thing.)

---eliza b
    There are!!

It's not a bad way to start and I don't so much consider it watered down. But if it is not right up your alley, there are lots of boutiques and smaller shops that will buy non-mass produced goods. Perhaps you were approaching the wrong kinds of shops.

The thing about having an online shop is that you don't have to necessarily keep a large inventory (you can do made-to-order) and you do not have to put a lot into your overhead. There are expenses associated with running an online shop, but they are often things you pay for anyway, and as your business grows you can upgrade (things such as your web hosting and site design).

I'm not saying it is "easy" by any means, and often people assume that since they have a business online that is available 24/7 for all the world to see, that the customer will flock to them. The truth is you do have to advertise just like any shop. You have to create brand awareness and customer loyalty.

I didn't mean to ramble on about this. I should probably be WORKING!

Remove Ads

Ads