Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Made any projects from "Stitch & Bitch" book?

I bought Debbie Stoller's "Stitch & Bitch" book and it arrived in the mail last night. I was up WAY past my bedtime having fun looking thru all the patterns!

I was curious if anyone has made any of the projects from the book. Any thoughts to share? Or pics?

I was thinking the cell phone cozy would be a fun xmas gift to make for my friends.

2. # ADS

I made the hat with the paillettes (sp?) on it. Two of them, actually. I thought it came out really well, although I seem to remember thinking that either the instructions were a little unclear or something, but I think I had to knit more rounds than the pattern said. Not sure why, but it still worked out.

I really want to make the knitted bikini, as well as a couple of the sweaters, but I'm forcing myself to finish a very cute but very hard sweater from "Vintage Knits."

Some of the patterns have mistakes. The corrections are posted here: http://www.bust.com/knithappens/oops.shtml

Thanks Karen! Very much appreciated.

You're welcome. There's also a huge thread about projects from the SnB book at Craftster: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=68.0

And if you haven't heard, Debbie's working on a sequel. This book will be called "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation" and will include patterns, tips from knitters, yarn store reviews, as well as profiles (and pictures) of lots of knitting groups.

I have made the wrist bands, but with no design.

I really love them. I have knitter's ADD, so I need quickie things that I can knock before I lose interest! They are so cute, and my roomies love them, so I'm making them in every color so we can coordinate with our outfits. Silly I know, but it's a great way to get rid of the little bit of yarn you always have left over from some other project.

miss e

I made the Devil Hat. It turned out really well. I love it.

Also -- I read a review of this book in the most recent issue of Knitter's Magazine (it's a very old-lady kind of knitting magazine which never has anything cute, but three years ago they published a really cute shawl pattern by Lily Chin so I always flip through it whenever I'm at the bookstore -- just in case). It was really funny -- they totally slammed it! First, I was confused about why they are just now reviewing that book in their most recent issue. But other than that, they said that the book doesn't properly pay homage to knitting's venerable history. Then they said the trendy patterns will "soon seem dated" (which, first of all, I disagree with, and second of all -- this coming from a magazine that regularly publishes patterns for holiday-themed sweaters, among other UGLY ass patterns). Finally -- and this was the kicker -- they said there were too many "adult" references in the book to make it appropriate for younger knitters! (Like the title Stitch'N'Bitch didn't tip them off.) I bet they were just mad that they weren't included in the knitting magazines section.

i heartily recommend the craftster thread - i *wish* i had seen it before doing the to dye for sweater. my experience with the pattern is on that thread, with photos.

i think it's a great book - love the language and techniques, and i love how all the "established" knitters hate the book and dismiss anyone who reads and enjoys it as a dilettante. i would just use the patterns as a guide, do some research and experiment on your own to make sure you'll be happy with the results

I made the Kittyville hat. It knitted up pretty fast and it's cute!
    You can see it here:
    http://www.girlthursday.com/play.htm

Have fun!

I made the Windy City Scarf for my sister last Christmas. You can see it here:
    http://sheis.youngandwithit.com/make/holiday03.html
    (scroll all the way down)

I loved making the scarf and kept intending to make one for myself. Ah, maybe this fall. 100 degree weather does not make one want to knit a scarf!

I also made a cell phone cozy for someone? I don't have a cell phone. Writing this just made me realize that it is in the bottom of my knitting bag and I never sewed up the sides. Woops. I also suffer knitter's ADD.

Oh, and the umbilical cord hat! Which I still need to mail to it's recipient. Gosh, I am a slacker!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads