Thread: Silk screening

Silk screening

Does anyone have recommendations for silk screening at home? Or even good paint that can be used on fabric? I'm dying to try something.

2. # ADS

i really love my print gocco for quickie silkscreening...sometimes you can pick them up fairly cheap on ebay and they are extremely easy and self-contained if you want to get your feet wet on screenprinting. i've made lots and lots of tshirts and tons of notecards and things...the main limitation is the size, i suppose, though i rarely want a tshirt image any bigger than the 4x6 size of the screen.
    to learn "real" screen printing i would recommend trying to get into a community college class...it's the best instruction you can get for the money, for sure, and they have all the supplies and things that you might hesitate to buy for yourself until you're sure you're into it.

gosh. this just reminded me how badly I would like a print gocco!

i think everyone should have one!
    ;)
    though they aren't a cheap little toy--the bulbs and screens can be pricey--but they are so much fun!

You can buy screenprinting kits at art supply stores - the screen I have is about 9x12", which is decent t-shirt size. I hadn't done any screenprinting in years, but I recently hauled it back out and printed some logos on ribbon (for tags). They turned out pretty well, using a laser-printed transparency and plain light bulb to burn the image.

You can use any fabric/silk paint and mix it with extender base to give it transparency. Don't forget to add catalyst if you are using a fabric paint that isn't heat or otherwise set.

Remove Ads

Ads