Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to learn to Cross Stitch

Where do I begin?
    What materials do I need?

I've checked out http://www.subversivecrossstitch.com/ and that seems like a good place to start but I think I need some pointers.

Thanks

2. # ADS

Re: I want to learn to Cross Stitch

Quote Originally Posted by Selah
    Where do I begin?
    What materials do I need?

I've checked out http://www.subversivecrossstitch.com/ and that seems like a good place to start but I think I need some pointers.
    i learned with instructions in one of my craft books - i think it was the "Good Housekeeping" guide to needlecrafts or something. very basic directions, easy to follow. if you don't have a needlework book, there should be some at your local library, or there are turorials on the interweb (and i'm having a total brainfart right now on where i found them before, d'oh!)...

you'll need:
    embroidery thread
    aida cloth (start with around 14-count, i think)
    appropriate needles
    embroidery hoop

you can start with a small sampler, or just work stitches per the instructions to get a feel for it. it's pretty easy once you get the hang of where it's all supposed to go.

after that? ooooooh, the possibilities!

her kits have the basic instruction with them, it's pretty easy. it's actually my fallback brainless-in-front-of-the-tv craft.

here are the basics:
    you need canvas, a needle, and thread, a pattern, and a hoop that's a little bigger than your finished pattern will be. oh, and a scissors and a needle-threader-thingie.

haha, it's so easy that I can't even figure out how to explain it. the most important thing that I always screw up at least once is: make all your x's the same way, like all the /s on top of the \s or the other way around. it sounds lame, but if you don't do that, it looks funky.

you should totally just jump in and do it, it's so easy, you'll pick it up right away! I would start with a not-too-background-intensive pattern, most of the subversive kits would be easy to start with, I think.

(I'm sure there's a more experienced xstitcher who will come up with everything I left out, there's probly a lot. I am in no way expert I still have to master French knots, ha.)

eta: I was typing while miz shawneemonkey was posting, sorry bout the cross-info.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_lemming
    haha, it's so easy that I can't even figure out how to explain it. the most important thing that I always screw up at least once is: make all your x's the same way, like all the /s on top of the \s or the other way around. it sounds lame, but if you don't do that, it looks funky.
    ah, yes, that's VERY important! good call!

and once you've gotten the hang of it, you can modify existing patterns, or use software to create charts from drawings or photos. fun fun fun!

i'm all inspired to dig out my cross-stitch stuff now!

Thanks for the tips! And never worry about posting the same info twice, the more I read it the sooner it'll sink in my noggin.

I got some hoops at a rummage sale and I'll look for some thread at more sales tomorrow. I think I'll order a kit to make as a present for my brother. He'll proably hate it - hahahaha! :)

One little thing I do to help me not have to go back and finish one more little X that I didn't see when I'm on the other side of the chart is if you have a complicated chart where there are a bunch of colors in one area kinda mixed up a little, that helps it blend, if you're using a black and white chart you can copy it and then color in the different squares for each color of thread. It helps you see over all where you're headed with the thread you're using.

I use colored pencils, but learned the hard way that you don't fold that chart in half and have one side (w/ colored pencil squares on it) rub against the aida.

Selah, don't forget that learning to stitch was the main activity for tiny girls for 100's of years. If a 4 years old girl could learn it by candlelight in the 1700's you can surly do it by Sesame Street today!!

Not sure if anyone posted this tip, but: I like to make the x's all at once, but I know some folks - esp beginners - like to do one side of the x and then go back later, b/c if you have to take out stitches, it's easier to oly have to take out half an x.

Hey Selah,

Ohhh I'm happy for you. Cross-stitching was the first craft that I conquered. It's time consuming, yet very satisfying!

Here's a good tutorial. It has pictures, and a lot of "tips" that you would normally acquire through practice, but why wait?

My stitching always looks best when:

1) I use a Q-Snap Frame instead of a hoop. But, I still use hoops for some things, and I did use hoops for years. Start with your hoops and if you become addicted maybe step up to a Q-snap.

2) I use DMC 6-strand embroidery floss. I find it just looks better than the other brands ... maybe I'm crazy but I just like the "look" of it better. Shinier? Brighter? Can't really put my finger on it ...

Make sure to post pics of your projects!

del

hi, i started out with a CS kit for a christmas stocking that had the colors on the netting making it easy to follow. i lately did a counting cross stitch and could probably next do something more on my own. but i liked the kits b/c it was all there. i got a book or two from the library to see diagrams of the various stitches and found a couple tutorials online. really nice to see it come together. good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads