Want to Give my Living room a global feel ---- but how?

I am trying to create a "global" feel in my living room. Right now I have all red furniture with a modern shape and birch veneer tables. But I need to figure out what to do about accents. Right now it feels to a little too French. I am looking to create add an eastern flavor.

I am trying to figure out how to take photos of famous places/landmarks/buildings from a book and make them look aged. And of course, frame or mount them in an attractive way. And pillows?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Boo

2. # ADS

I saw something once on a decorating show where they reprinted photos onto iron-transfer paper, then ironed then photos onto canvas(like you'd use to paint on), then paint over the whole thing with....tea stain? I can't remember what they used - but it made them look old and very fancy. Frame choice can really make a difference in your room too. If you just want to frame the prints, what about the ones where it's just glass & clips - you just slide your picture in between the glass? Very simple and really showcases the artwork beautifully.

What about a plant - like an indoor palm with big feathery froms? Or bamboo? I did see some cool bamboo folding chairs at walmart for about $10(I think) and to me, bamboo always gives an eastern feel.

Big floor pillows might be cool. I am imagining deep yellow gold or maybe even black to compliment your red. Don't forget texture - it adds a lot! For a true eastern feel, stick with only red, white and black. Smaller toss pillows on the couches help tie everything together

Hey you're making me want to redecorate! :)

:miss m

Do you have a Ten Thousand Villages nearby? Those are lovely fair-trade/non-profit/volunteer-run type shops that have really affordable and handmade little accents and decorations. I love supporting them.

http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/

I love Ten Thousand Villages too! So much.

Paper lanterns are always nice, painted or plain. Hang glass trinkets in your window, put up a batik tapestry (you could make your own!) Use a sari as a window dressing. Add pillows in rich colours with gold embroidery, put them on the floor as well as the furniture.

I second the plant idea, and you can get all kinds of different looks depending on what kind of pots you have them in. Sometimes you can find beaten copper or brass pots for very little.
    Eastern always brings to mind mosaic table tops and fountains.

Hit the flea markets! You can find some pretty weird, although often overpriced, stuff there.

Also, if you get "global" fabric and drape them on the walls or as curtains (where did I read that crafty bit answer to not being able to paint walls?), it has that effect.

You can do themes for certain rooms. I'm so nerdy I'd probably do that. I'm lucky because a World Market just opened up, so I could actually do that sort of thing.

But I really think flea markets might help, but it depends. When I went to the flea market in Santa Monica, I almost went head over heels with all the different thigns I could buy for fairly cheap. I bought a sari bag. Hee.

Colors with natural textures.(branches,tiles,burlap,silk)
    Eastern:bright,beaded,fringed,flowered,tiled,tin,c olored glass.
    For frames for the pictures simple wood ones that you can white wash/weather looks very broad,gold would hint to that european feel.

Remove Ads

Ads