Sewing Machine help!

I just got a Bradford sewing machine, model 1630 [if that means anything to y'all...], from the trash. It's awesome and it seems fully functional, and it seems to be from the 1950s which is real rad.

The problem:
    I can't figure out how to thread the upper thread! Hooks, metal loops, tension gauges. Oy. Also there's a couple little doodads I don't understand. But that's not so bad.. But without the proper threading, I can't sew. :(
    Does anyone know anything about this model, or know a good resource [online or in the Philly PA area] for Bradford/general sewing machine help?

Thanks lots.
    -Shix

2. # ADS

Cant help you belowthebelt but I would like to hijack your thread with a request of my own.

Does anyone have an instruction manual for the 1970 Elna star series supermatic - blue top, white bottom, grey metal case - and could help me out with getting a copy?

belowthebelt: Is the issue that that particular model is threaded differently from other machines or that you have never threaded a sewing machine? I have a different brand of sewing machine, but I could scan a page from the owner's manual if it's just that you don't know how to thread a machine, period.

Let me know.

:o)

blue lou:
    i have a 1971 elnasuper, blue and white with grey metal case. i can photocopy the manual and post it to you, if you like. though it's not precisely the right thing i think it's similar enough to be a big help.

in response to dawn:
    "belowthebelt: Is the issue that that particular model is threaded differently from other machines or that you have never threaded a sewing machine?"

it's the particular model. i sew on a 1971 elna [mentioned above] and have recently done some work on modern models [singers from the past five years, mostly]. based on these experiences i've made some guesses, but it's tricky.

Oh well, guess I can't be of any assistance then, other than to bump this thread so that maybe someone with some knowledge will see it.

:o)

thanks anyway btb, you can ignore my message with my address etc, I found a local contactwith a manual, so you wont have to go to the trouble of copying and sending - but thanks for your help - if I have any technical issues along the way I may get back to you.
    Cheers
    lou

Perhaps a local craft store or sewing machine shop would have someone who could assist you. There maybe even someone who has one or can help yuo figure it out with you. In any case, sorry I don't have a direct answer for you.

Cheers
    lovelola

I COULD USE YOUR HELP - THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by belowthebelt
    blue lou:
    i have a 1971 elnasuper, blue and white with grey metal case. i can photocopy the manual and post it to you, if you like. though it''s not precisely the right thing i think it''s similar enough to be a big help.

in response to dawn:
    "belowthebelt: Is the issue that that particular model is threaded differently from other machines or that you have never threaded a sewing machine?"

it''s the particular model. i sew on a 1971 elna [mentioned above] and have recently done some work on modern models [singers from the past five years, mostly]. based on these experiences i''ve made some guesses, but it''s tricky.
    I just got Elnasuper 62c withpout any accessories and I would really appreciate if you could email me a copy of the manual - thank you!

bradford threading

hi
    i also have a bradford i think i''m threading it rt, but i can''t get it to sew, top stiches not working attaching to the bottom, i''m desprete for any help
    ty
    linda

Remove Ads

Ads