+ Reply to Thread

Separating layers/colors for silkscreen design?

I have an image I want to turn into a 2-color silkscreen design. I only have a printer/scanner and computer at home. Is there a way to separate a scanned image by rainbow color? So that the reds/pinks/purple create one layer and the blue/green/grey creates another layer? Does this even make sense?

I basically want the original image (greyish person standing in front of pink & purple flowers) to be separate images... one with the flowers, one with the grandmotherly woman, so that I can make it into a two color silkscreen design.

p.s. I accidentally posted this in the other forum section. Sorry.

2. # ADS

do you have photoshop? i don't have it anymore but i remember there was an option for doing this since it is a vital step when preparing images to be printed on a printing press and of course silkscreened. unfortunately i don't have the luxury of that program anymore so i can't check out exactly what it is..... but pretty much any good photo manipulation software is going to have that option.

sorry to give an "i don't really know" answer but i know that all you need to do is check out what you have or can get your hands on....

ok.

I've got Photoshop 4.0 (OLD!) but I've never figured out how to do these things. I will have to go check out the help forums and see. An "I kinda of know" is better than no answers at all! :) Thanks. I'll post pictures of the finished thing if I ever figure it out.

you can slice your image into different layers on photoshop. i'm not sure exactly how it works, but there are hundreds of great tutorials on the internet that will help. just google something like 'photoshop tutorial slice'. personally, i like this http://www.arraich.com/ps6_tips_basics1.htm site. it speaks to the beginner.[/url]

according to my dad, who is a printer, you should look for something along the lines of a RGB (red/green/blue color separation. he's pretty sure this is available on photoshop.

if you see CMYK (which stands for cyan/magenta/yellow/black - yes, the K stands for black...), that is to do color separation for printing press.

if it's only a two color, i would suggest printing out two copies and using an exacto knife to cut out each layer. if you're burning the images onto a screen using transparencies, having two cut out will be helpful anyway.

Ads