cutting foam-type stuff?

so, i have a project. and for this project, i picked up four "seat cushions": 16"x16"x1" squares of foam, like seat cushions are made of. says right on the package, "cust easily with a pair of scissors or a sharp knife!" of course, this is a lie. the scissors leave a jagged, uneven edge (this might just be the scissor weilder, mind you, but still.), and the knife must be VERY VERY sharp (read: knives you do not want to ruin cutting up foam.) and still makes an awful nails-on-chalkboard noise every time you make a cut. so, does anyone have any ideas on how to cut this stuff nice and cleanly?

2. # ADS

if you go to the craft store and look in the floral section i believe, you will find foam cutters. my bf has one, and it is awesome! it was quite cheap and runs on 2 D batteries. what happens is a wire is attached to a metal contraption and when you flip the switch it heats up the wire to make a nice cut through the foam.

this is the exact product my bf bought at hobby lobby:

http://www.craftsetc.com/Store/ShowP....aspx?p=337774

$7 is pretty darn cheap for such a nifty tool.

soft, open-cell foam cuts fine with a SERRATED knife. it doesn't even have to be that sharp. that's what we used to cut the big sheets of foam at Jo-Ann. it leaves some striations on the cut edge, but if you're careful, it does not leave a jagged edge.

thanks you guys, i gave the serrated knife a try on some spare foam and it worked perfectly. i think i'm gonna stick with the knife and save myself a trip to the craft store. and seven bucks. cos that's like, a week's worth of coffee.

(incidentally, which works better; sawing back and forth or dragging the knife in the same direction each time?)

I may be too late but...
    An electric knife works excellent!
    You know, the one's you use on the turkey on Thanksgiving...
    Except, you may want to designate it as your foam one and buy another!

i second the electric carving knife suggestion - it's what i've always heard was the best way. bet you could find one at one of those factory close-out stores. of course, i've never tried it myself - i can't even touch that foam stuff without cringing. major nails on a chalkboard for me! my couch really needs new cushions. but i just shove old blankets under the cushions to prop them up a bit so i can avoid the misery!

definitely dragging the knife one way, but make sure you always have the knife in the same cut you've started and not angled into a little side-cut.

Remove Ads

Ads